Hardware/Analog Techno Production
    Tech Wizard

Default Hardware/Analog Techno Production

Hi!

I decided to start producing techno after only DJing for several years. I want to use analog synthesizers and drum machines. So I decided to start with a volca keys and beats and an waldorf blofeld which i plug into a an analog sound craft mixer.

What I´m looking for are production tips because I do not have much knowledge about the technical side of production. What´s the best way to write music with an analog setup? Which ways of workflow are there? How do I start writing a track from start to finish with hardware? Record everything live and then put it into abelton?

Lots of questions. What i´m looking for is a guide and tips on how to start writing music with hardware gear from start to finish.

Check out these videos, really informative:

That Point black music channel is great overall, lots of inspiring Ableton tutorials.
    -------------------------
    2x Technics 1200 mk5, Ecler nuo 3.0.

You're gonna wannna look into hardware sequencers.

Or, use a DAW as a sequencer.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Convert

Very ambitious!

The biggest difference between arranging in analogue gear vs VSTs, is the fact that it is much more difficult to recall or make edits once things are recorded.

A basic setup would connect the synth to DAW through use of an audio interface, but I think you understand that much already.

I think you're really asking about tricks/tips to arranging in this way, and although I'm not an expert, I would recommend:

1. Set aside more time for preproduction/sound design. Using analogue and knowing that edits will be harder, it's all the more important to get it right the first time - once it's recorded, you really shouldn't "fix it in the mix". Keep in mind that anything you record with it in a chain (EQ, Compression, Reverbs) will be in the recording as well, all the more reason to get it right at the source. Record the synth input dry more often than not, only getting the raw sound out of the synth.. it's much easier at that point to add things like reverb and EQ because you can go back and change this.

2. Sample! Since you can't necessarily save your patches or daisy chains (although I'm sure some synths are better than others), if you get a sound you like, record it and put it in a special place. You can easily throw that sound in a sampler if you want to use it later!

3. Sound on Sound has an amazing sound design tutorial, especially if you are going analogue. It gets complicated and detailed in the math/why synths do what they do, and it can be a little hard to digest, but I promise once you have, you will have a huge leg up over someone who torrents massive and uses the latest KSHMR UBER BASS preset

Just don't psyche yourself out. If you're not having fun, don't feel like you absolutely have to be an analogue purist. The biggest arrangement difference between digital/analogue is recalling sounds/synth programming. Other than that, it's the same as producing all in the box, the same rules apply!

Tech Convert

yeah the key is preparation. Have your sounds and sequences ready. I would recommend the arturia beatstep pro as your sequencer. That was you can have that as your controller/sequencer for your synths.

Also a thing to look out is have a rough arrangement map. You can ether just draw this on a bit of paper or in ableton have a midi channel with a rough arrangement so you can know when to drop the drums or build the synth line. Otherwise you can find your self with a 30 mins song lol