Serato DJ advice

Default Serato DJ advice

I'm after some Serato DJ advice regarding what would be the cheapest way of using Serato DJ,
    with my existing 1200's. From what I've worked out my only option seems to be the Akai AMX DJ Controller,
    which for some reason I don't like the look that much.

Are there any other options apart from the Akai AMX DJ Controller?

Thanks in advance.
    B

Assuming you already have a mixer, you could buy the Denon DS1 for about $300 or a used Rane SL2 (you'd likely have to buy some control vinyl as well).

If you don't have a mixer though, the AMX is great mini and cheap option for Serato (considering it's essentially a mixer, controller, and can unlock Serato and do DVS for $350)

I have one and it's fun and simple. What is it you don't like about it?

Tech Mentor

You can check all the supported hardware on the serato website: https://serato.com/hardware/all/mixers-interfaces
    There have been a few new devices announced at NAMM e.g. the mixars duo.

You'll struggle to get anything cheaper than the AMX (+DVS upgrade) or the denon DS1.

If you're not dead set on serato then the traktor kontrol z2 mixer is a good option and pretty cheap at the moment.
    Xone DB4 | Pioneer DDJ-SP1 | DJ Tech CDJ 101 (x2) | Serato DJ
    NI X1 MKII | NI Scratch A6 | MF Twister | Traktor Pro 2
    Sennheiser HD 25 II | KRK Rokit 5 (x2) | Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
    Mixed In Key 8 | MusicBrainz Picard | Mixxx 2

Quote Originally Posted by overcast View Post
    Assuming you already have a mixer, you could buy the Denon DS1 for about $300 or a used Rane SL2 (you'd likely have to buy some control vinyl as well).

If you don't have a mixer though, the AMX is great mini and cheap option for Serato (considering it's essentially a mixer, controller, and can unlock Serato and do DVS for $350)

I have one and it's fun and simple. What is it you don't like about it?
    I guess I just don't like the look of the AMX but it's the cheapest option I guess,
    plus you can't use it as a standalone mix right? it has to be connected to your computer/Serato right?

Are you fairly new to Serato? or have you used something else in the past?

Quote Originally Posted by rob2192 View Post
    You can check all the supported hardware on the serato website: https://serato.com/hardware/all/mixers-interfaces
    There have been a few new devices announced at NAMM e.g. the mixars duo.

You'll struggle to get anything cheaper than the AMX (+DVS upgrade) or the denon DS1.

If you're not dead set on serato then the traktor kontrol z2 mixer is a good option and pretty cheap at the moment.
    Yep the mixars duo does look nice, but expect the UK price for it will be crazy.
    Is the DVS upgrade free if I get the AMX?

I've not experience on either Serato or traktor, had alook at the Serato software but thats about it.

Quote Originally Posted by gingerb View Post
    I guess I just don't like the look of the AMX but it's the cheapest option I guess,
    plus you can't use it as a standalone mix right? it has to be connected to your computer/Serato right?

Are you fairly new to Serato? or have you used something else in the past?
    I've used Serato for a few years now and started with using an SL box and a standalone mixer. I like the AMX as a portable alternative, but you're right in that it can't be used as a standalone mixer. I like it, but it's not as feature intensive as a fully fleshed out controller.

As to answer another question, the AMX will unlock Serato, but DVS options will cost another $100 upgrade. Seems kind of stupid for someone like me who already dropped $600 on an SL box, but for starting out with Serato, it's not a bad price point