Audio Interface...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Audio Interface...

I don't want to purchase anymore gear until I have the right audio interface for it to all plug in to.

I have a Novation Bass Station II, Roland TB-3 and Roland TR-505.

I have an iMac and I use Logic Pro and Ableton Live.

I'm currently using a Lexicon Alpha USB Audio Interface, which I can plug 2 bits of gear into, in mono, or one if I want stereo.

I will be looking to get more equipment so I will definitely need a bigger interface?

I would like to be able to plug at least 5 bit of gear into it. 3 of my current synths/drum machine, and then 2 others that I can get in future.

Can you recommend a audio interface that suits my needs? I just want to be able to have all my gear routed into one interface, and be able to record nicely into Logic. It'll be on budget tho so nothing expensive....

Round about £150... I need to plug my monitors in via XLR or 1/4", and then 1/4" inputs for my synths/drum machine

Thank you
    Last edited by Superfreak; 01-29-2016 at 03:23 PM.

Tech Guru

The Focusrite Scarlett series has a number of options that handle MIDI in/out, support SPDIF, and are reasonably priced. The 18i8 is likely the best choice given the gear you have now.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Dude that's the exact interface I've been looking at.. Reasonably price too, around £150-200. And has the right amount for me to plug in all my gear now.

I could always take one out and plug another in when I get more gear, won't need to use it ALL at the same time

EDIT: the Focusrite 81i6 looks a lot better... It hasn't got all the mic inputs on the front, and instead has 2 more Line inputs on the back... Better surely?
    Last edited by Superfreak; 01-30-2016 at 09:08 AM.

Found a Focusrite 18i6 for £190.

Will suit me much better than the 18i8, as the 6 has 2 extra line inputs rather than the 4 mic inputs.

Tech Guru

You know your setup way better than I do. The 18i8 mic inputs are switchable between mic & line, and combo jacks that will take either xlr or balanced 1/4". The second headphone jack on the front of the 18i8 is also handy. But, if the 18i6 looks better to you than the 18i8, then by all means go with that one.

There is certainly more money to be spent, but the Focusrite Scarlett series is good value for money.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

I have the 2i4 & it sounds great!
    SC | MC

Presonus do some great production interfaces. I had a Firebox back in the day and it sounded amazing. They might have something that suits your needs.

http://www.presonus.com/products/
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

Tech Wizard

You might also try buying a small budget Mixer like a Yamaha MG06 and plug the sound outputs of your external gear into it, then sending the stereo out of the mixer into the two inputs of your audio interface.

Has your iMac got Firewire?

If it has, I've got a MOTU Ultralite (MKII) that I would let go for less than your budget...

This is a SERIOUS piece of hardware:
    motu-ultralite-mk2-102074.jpg

Even if you haven't got FW, you can easily add it to your iMac...

I'll even throw in a Patch Bay and a bunch of Hi-Q patch bay cables...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Has your iMac got Firewire?

If it has, I've got a MOTU Ultralite (MKII) that I would let go for less than your budget...

This is a SERIOUS piece of hardware:
    motu-ultralite-mk2-102074.jpg

Even if you haven't got FW, you can easily add it to your iMac...

I'll even throw in a Patch Bay and a bunch of Hi-Q patch bay cables...
    Ooooo, that looks nice... Has more inputs than I was looking for too, more than enough.

I will be connecting my gear with one jack cable for mono, so more than enough.

They're all compatible w/ balanced AND unbalanced cables by the looks of it, right?

I have a 2014 iMac, so I think it should have FireWire? It's a 21" slim model.

It has two thunderbolt connections, 3 USB, and I'm sure there's something else next to the thunderbolt (I'll check when I get home)

I'll reply to your message when home and we'll sort this out?

Are you based in UK?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast