Izotope Ozone 7

Thread: Izotope Ozone 7

Tech Wizard

Default Izotope Ozone 7

Anybody use it? I'm in the process of figuring out which mastering software I want to use for my tracks. Ideally, I'd just send all of my tracks to a mastering engineer but for the sake of getting more familiar with the process, I would like to get more familiar with different mastering chains.

I use it and it's great. I'm not a mastering pro but I'm finding it's interface to be pretty straight forward so far.

It's a great app, no doubt. Best advice I can give is just because you have all those modules, doesn't mean you have to use them. People tend to go overboard with Ozone 7 thinking they need to use each module in every song.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarekith View Post
    It's a great app, no doubt. Best advice I can give is just because you have all those modules, doesn't mean you have to use them. People tend to go overboard with Ozone 7 thinking they need to use each module in every song.
    True, at first I found myself trying to use everything and all I ended up doing was spending an hour making my track worse

Tech Wizard

Thanks for the replies! Do you guys do all of your mastering with Ozone 7 or do you send most of your tracks to mastering engineers? Ideally, I'd love to do everything myself but I don't want to overdo it at the expense of my tracks

I just use it for quick masters so I can test my tracks out, when it comes time to get the final master I send it out to an engineer. I spend too much time on a track to half ass it at the last stage.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Kwal View Post
    True, at first I found myself trying to use everything and all I ended up doing was spending an hour making my track worse
    LOL, been there
    Producer & Dj from Buenos Aires, Argentina.
    Soft seared beats and smoked gritty basslines marinated with pads, served over home grown melodies and a pinch of salt.
    https://soundcloud.com/similian
    Subscribe to Similian Sound Tools mailing list and receive exclusive content!

Tech Convert

Short answer; Ozone7 is really all you need to finish a track, yes.

However, as you get better and better skill-wise, you will realize that each tool has a specific sound -- not just in mastering.

For example, I might really love Ozone's multiband compressor, but do my subtractive EQ using Pro-Q, and use Waves L2 as my limiter because they all sound slightly different. At this point you really want to dive in to experimenting.

It might be better if you are just starting to master, to focus on your mixing skills entirely. If your mix sounds great, mastering will only make it sound better. At it's CORE though, just try to remember that if the mix is good (track levels/no clipping, spacial processing, EQing), you don't really need to master too much.

Your mentality should be that your mix is so good that all you really need to do is a limiter at the end to bring it to commercial level. Just don't brick wall your limiter..