APC40 tempo and loop help!

Default APC40 tempo and loop help!

Hi folks,

I'm writing my own mapping for an AKAI APC40 and I have a couple of probably simple but annoying questions, which i need help with.

1st issue- I would like to program 2 buttons to do the following: enter a loop at a default value when e.g. 8 or 16 beats when first pushed also making the loop active but then be able toggle up or down loop values. Is this possible?

2nd issue- Can I create a master tempo encoder? I would like to change the global tempo of all tracks, a bit like the S8 can do.

Thanks in advance!!

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LJ Stevens View Post
    Hi folks,

I'm writing my own mapping for an AKAI APC40 and I have a couple of probably simple but annoying questions, which i need help with.

1st issue- I would like to program 2 buttons to do the following: enter a loop at a default value when e.g. 8 or 16 beats when first pushed also making the loop active but then be able toggle up or down loop values. Is this possible?

2nd issue- Can I create a master tempo encoder? I would like to change the global tempo of all tracks, a bit like the S8 can do.

Thanks in advance!!
    Hi,
    I'd need some more input on #1:
    Do you want to map two buttons for looping assigned to just one deck?
    And then use some other two buttons for your second deck?

Hi Stewe, thats correct, 2 buttons for each deck.

OK. You can map one modifier per button to set loop and then control the loop size with a same buttons, but what if you want to exit loop?

Function 1: Press ether button 1 or button 2 to set a loop+size (is possible)
    Function 2: Use button 1 to decrease and button 2 to increase the loop size (is possible)
    Option 1: Press both 1+2 at a same time to deactivate loop (not ideal but possible)
    Option 2: Use third button to exit loop. Ideally the Shift button if you have already mapped some modifiers in your TSI.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewe View Post
    OK. You can map one modifier per button to set loop and then control the loop size with a same buttons, but what if you want to exit loop?

Function 1: Press ether button 1 or button 2 to set a loop+size (is possible)
    Function 2: Use button 1 to decrease and button 2 to increase the loop size (is possible)
    Option 1: Press both 1+2 at a same time to deactivate loop (not ideal but possible)
    Option 2: Use third button to exit loop. Ideally the Shift button if you have already mapped some modifiers in your TSI.
    Hi Stewe,

Sounds great, love the sound of Option 1, how would you map both buttons to release the loop? I wouldn't mind trying this. why would you say not ideal?

I also have a shift button mapped for delete cues etc so if it doesn't work then I will go for the modifiers option.

Tech Convert

I love the APC and mapped it a similar way so I can hope I can help:

1. You're looking for the input "Loop Size Set + Select" Assign your control, then it allows you to select what size you want the loop to be. Press it once to set the loop, again to loop out. (Personally, I also then set the MIDI out to light up the pads to tell me if the loop was active or not, but that takes a little more effort!

2. You're looking for "Set Master Tempo" under Master Clock. The APC faders are a bit smaller than normal tempo faders, so you might need to do a bit of tweaking of the sensitivity to get something you're happy with, but it definitely works.

Hope that does the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by LJ Stevens View Post
    Hi Stewe,

Sounds great, love the sound of Option 1, how would you map both buttons to release the loop? I wouldn't mind trying this. why would you say not ideal?

I also have a shift button mapped for delete cues etc so if it doesn't work then I will go for the modifiers option.
    Sorry for this bit delay from my last response. I caught a flu a four days ago but now I feel a little better.
    Made this small mapping for you to check out Loop+Size.zip (for deck A)

When the loop is not active:

-press button 1 to set 8 beats loop.
    -press button 2 to set 16 beats loop.

While in active loop:

-press button 1 to decrease the loop size.
    -press button 2 to increase the loop size.
    Or,
    -press+hold button 1 then press button 2 to release the loop.
    -press+hold button 2 then press button 1 to release the loop.