Getting started, shopping list suggestions?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Getting started, shopping list suggestions?

Evening everyone,

I browsed through the FAQ and other areas online and this is what I have come up with so far. I'll be using a windows laptop (specs are fine for available software) and playing for house parties (family) exclusively. Mostly outside, crowds of ~50-100 at least 3 or 4 times a year. I have basic understanding of music theory and realize the time and effort required to eventually play to a crowd. My budget is flexible (within reason).

Speakers: QSC K10s with KSUB, open to suggestions based on the party environment I'll be playing to. I've read this set-up covers most people's needs.

Headphones: Sennheiser HD25s seem to be the gold standard.

Controller: I've read the Pioneer DDJ-SB2 is great for starting out, but if the other equipment is intermediate level, I think the controller should be as well. This would prevent the need to upgrade later. A budget of around $500 seems more reasonable.

Software: undecided, haven't played around with them enough to make a decision, but I'm flexible.

Have I missed anything essential? Is the quality of the equipment suitable for what I would like to use it for? Should I tone it down/up?

Thank you.

Seeing as how the SB2 comes with Serato DJ Intro, I'd suggest going with the upgrade to Serato DJ proper. Whatever happens, you'll have to pay for DJ software, so might as well go with what works out of the box?
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

Quote Originally Posted by happydan View Post
    Seeing as how the SB2 comes with Serato DJ Intro, I'd suggest going with the upgrade to Serato DJ proper. Whatever happens, you'll have to pay for DJ software, so might as well go with what works out of the box?
    Oh yeah, of course. I hadn't made a commitment to any particular software, so whatever comes with the hardware I'll be OK with. I wasn't dead set on the SB2 though. Figured I'd try to get something of a higher quality. Just wasn't sure which controller to go with.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by pierson5 View Post
    Oh yeah, of course. I hadn't made a commitment to any particular software, so whatever comes with the hardware I'll be OK with. I wasn't dead set on the SB2 though. Figured I'd try to get something of a higher quality. Just wasn't sure which controller to go with.
    I'd suggest going with the upgrade to Serato DJ proper. Whatever happens, you'll have to pay for DJ software
    Not Quite true, for a few extra bucks you get the full version software AND a better controller

E.g. The DDJ SR comes with the full version of Serato DJ, which, factoring in the software upgrade price is really only $150 more than the SB for a MUCH better controller, which is something to consider.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    Not Quite true, for a few extra bucks you get the full version software AND a better controller

E.g. The DDJ SR comes with the full version of Serato DJ, which, factoring in the software upgrade price is really only $150 more than the SB for a MUCH better controller, which is something to consider.
    The "Better, for more money" balance is a tough one. In this case I do agree, the DDJ SR is a controller that you will be happy with and not outgrow for years. IMO, it is worth the stretch to wait and buy that one.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

spending a lot on speaker system , there is some room to consider. Though qsc are fine but less/cheaper is also an option for crowd not exceeding 100 peeps...
    Allen & Heath DB4, Xone K2, 2x Native instrument D2
    Soundcloud
    Mixcloud

Quote Originally Posted by ragverp View Post
    spending a lot on speaker system , there is some room to consider. Though qsc are fine but less/cheaper is also an option for crowd not exceeding 100 peeps...
    I agree, you could half your cost on the PA speakers and put some more $ into the controller or even buy a few cheap lights.

Its not worth spending the majority of the budget for 4 or 5 family/friends gigs a year.

IMHO get a decent controller, a set of reasonably priced monitors ($100-150) for practice and a Behringer, Mackie or similar cheaper PA rig for those occasional parties.

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    I agree, you could half your cost on the PA speakers and put some more $ into the controller or even buy a few cheap lights.

Its not worth spending the majority of the budget for 4 or 5 family/friends gigs a year.

IMHO get a decent controller, a set of reasonably priced monitors ($100-150) for practice and a Behringer, Mackie or similar cheaper PA rig for those occasional parties.
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far. I'm not familiar with the quality of speakers necessary for these events, so this was very helpful. What should I be looking for when comparing speakers? For example, I looked at the Mackie brand, it looks like the only difference between the SRM350 and SRM450 is a 10 inch vs 12 inch high-output LF driver and the weight. Is the 450 worth the extra $100? Do I need 2 for the size of the party?

It looks like the majority suggests the DDJ SR for a controller. I looked into it and the quality looks like something I was leaning towards. I think I'll go with that one.

Quote Originally Posted by pierson5 View Post
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far. I'm not familiar with the quality of speakers necessary for these events, so this was very helpful. What should I be looking for when comparing speakers? For example, I looked at the Mackie brand, it looks like the only difference between the SRM350 and SRM450 is a 10 inch vs 12 inch high-output LF driver and the weight. Is the 450 worth the extra $100? Do I need 2 for the size of the party?

It looks like the majority suggests the DDJ SR for a controller. I looked into it and the quality looks like something I was leaning towards. I think I'll go with that one.
    If I were you I'd get 2x15's Thumps to start with - plenty of guys here swear by them for mobile gigs.

Yes you'll want 2 of them.

Bigger Driver = more bass. With 2x15's you can probably get away without a subwoofer for smaller parties.

http://www.amazon.com/Mackie-THUMP15...s=mackie+thump

If you want to add a sub you can do at a later date, something like this will give you alot more oomph

http://www.amazon.com/Mackie-SRM1801...rds=mackie+sub

IMHO spend the majority of your money on the gear you are using day-to-day, not the stuff that gets taken out a few times a year.
    Last edited by deevey; 02-18-2016 at 08:20 PM.

because i needed a better sound system i recently bought a second hand set, like new. 2 electro voice elx 118 P subwoofers and 2 elx115p tops, for small party's i just can take the tops and add 1 or 2 subs when needed. Because i bought it second hand i was able to save 1000 euro's on the new price...

what kind of music you will be playing ?
    Allen & Heath DB4, Xone K2, 2x Native instrument D2
    Soundcloud
    Mixcloud

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast