Distinguishing Minimal Techno and Tech House
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Distinguishing Minimal Techno and Tech House

Often times I can not say which one is which, although I suppose that tech house has more of a house drums feel and is less dark/strange, kinda like deep house but stripped down, whilst minimal has more delayed/decaying elements and a more alien feel. Can anyone help me out in understanding what separates these two genres?
    thx
    FIX8:OSCill8
    My Rig: Macbook 13" (2.16ghz 4gb crucial ram), VCI-100 custom paint, Korg Nanopad, Axiom 25, DJIO

Tech Wizard

i think this topic could go much bigger. there are so many sub genres of music it all gets too confusing.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DJBanyon View Post
    i think this topic could go much bigger. there are so many sub genres of music it all gets too confusing.
    yea it could, and the general topic has been discussed on this forum in the past, but I am looking for personal thoughts on these 2 sub-genres as I feel they have many similar elements and even after quite a bit of listening to the 2, and I still find it tough. With sufficient listening most genres become elucidated quickly, however these are tough so if anyone has any pointers that could speed up what feels like has been a long road, with miles (or km) to go, i'd love to hear em.
    My Rig: Macbook 13" (2.16ghz 4gb crucial ram), VCI-100 custom paint, Korg Nanopad, Axiom 25, DJIO

yeah you pretty much nailed it in the first post.. i find tech house to have more depth to the overall sound and find it slightly bouncier with some drive

Tech Guru

also the drum loops in techno seem more full, as in more elements, lots of small hits going on, not fuller kicks and snare (which I might award to tech house)

It's quite simple really, but I blame beatport for the confusing of these sub genres. Anyway, minimal is exactly what it says. Minimal music contains a minimal amount of elements and the producer basically utilizes those elements and enhances them and develops or changes those specific sounds to create the flow of the song. With tech house there are more elements like in traditional techno, the trAcks just are not as "hard" and they tend to have normal house elements combined with the percussive elements you find in techno.

What may confuse you even more is there is minimal techno and minimal house. But let's not get into that.
    Last edited by LanceBlaise; 11-24-2009 at 03:24 AM.

Tech Guru

to some extent I had hoped you might throw your 2 cents my way, I agree with what you said and am debating to change my tech house to being a subset of techno, or even making it and minimal their own separate genre, which is mixable, but very different (at least the stripped down aesthetic). At the very least I will have a mental connection between these two when mixing

ed. so thanks

I stick with the theory that when I previously dj'd before my long hiatus we didn't have too many sub genres of house, now there are lots so I carry on with the if i like it i buy it theory, it seems that Deep House/Tech House and Minimal are the ones i love above all else, strangely they sound just like the House I played then but now it's been sub catagoried! eg I don't mind the odd vocal that was Garage it's now Soulful House ;-)

either way I am working on my first Minimal/Tech mix, will be different to my Deep House mixes, as I feel you have much more leeway to mess with effects and loops as it's fits the genre more.

as for the difference, Lance probably said it how i hear the music so can't disagree

Tech Mentor

Yeah Lance nailed it... but anyway... who cares? Music is music...

Usually, my favourite tracks seem to be the ones that don't quite fit in anywhere... Which is why I store my tracks by purchase date.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast