upgrading to ssd, time machine and saving everything like for like, music production

Default upgrading to ssd, time machine and saving everything like for like, music production

Finally getting my but into gear and got my macbook going in the shop for running slow issues which is pointing towards a ssd upgrade, when doing a time machine backup, will all my synths, programs, all be safe? i use ableton where i am gonna collect and save my files which should work fine, just wondering about my certain vsts etc, or is there a good chance i will have to re download? also run traktor which is a main part of my daily tasks, thanks

also, will it transfer any unwanted files such as uninstalled programe files i may not know i have, cheers

Just download Carbon Copy Cloner and follow the steps. Did the same thing to my MBP in January and it works like a charm.
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

great, thanks very much, will take a look

As far as i understand, Timemachine wont back up your whole system. Just data but not your OS. That is why you need to use CCC or similar programs to make a bootable copy of your system. Also make sure to name your new drive the same like it was before. otherewise your paths for traktor etc. wont match.
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Time Machine backs up everything aside from the OS so you can install a fresh copy of OSX on the new drive and you'll be asked to import from TM while setting things up, it will carry over every software and file you can on that drive (unless you told it to ignore certain areas).

Either Time Machine or Carbon Copy will do the trick and +1 on the drive naming.

Tech Guru

I was able to do a full restore onto a new HD from a Time Machine back up on an external drive. I used a process similar to this:

http://apple.stackexchange.com/quest...new-hard-drive

All third party SW was installed, all documents, all settings, even the stuff in the trash was restored. I didn't even have to resupply the network login information for the house wifi.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39