Turntable help *PLEASE*
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Turntable help *PLEASE*

So I got myself I7 10 gb ram laptop, a NI Z2 and now looking to get a decent turntable to complete the puzzle. I want to start off with entry level but a quality turntable and eventually upgrade. I've upto $250 to spend.

Mission & More about me

• Noob to the DJ world.
    • Ordered my Z2 and will have it this friday
    • Want to learn some old school scratching and eventually some drum scratching (probably more hip hop but a little of everything)
    • Mixing and everything else that comes with the trade.

Tech Wizard

got 42 views... some of Sr most members pls advice. Thank you.

Ideally find a used Technics 1200 or 1210 on Craigslist and go to town. There's a guide here that will help you know what to look for when you're buying used: http://djtechtools.com/2013/03/24/xo...echnics-1200s/

If you're patient you should find one in your price range though they are usually sold in pairs. Obviously you're going to want two eventually, but you can do fine with one to begin with if you're running things through Traktor; just don't expect to juggle or anything too fancy with only one turntable.

There's another buying guide here for other brands of turntable - http://djtechtools.com/2016/02/15/20...orld-champion/ - that should help you out if you want something new or don't want Technics. I've used the Numarks and the Stantons listed here before and while they're not up to Technics quality in a number of ways, they are still solid choices for scratching. One that's not listed is the Audio Technica AT-LP120, which is a cheap clone of the Technics that sells for $200-300 new (there's a USB version on amazon right now for $229). Here's a review - http://djbooth.net/dj-equipment/revi...-usb-turntable -- I've played with one briefly at CES when they came out several years ago; I think they'd be fine for a beginner but not up to the quality of Technics or even the SuperOEMs. Should have no problem scratching with one and it might be a good intro turntable while you save up for a pair of Technics.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

I don't know how much of a beginner you are but if you really are a "Noob to the DJ world" please know this: do not buy belt drive turntables.

Quote Originally Posted by overcast View Post
    I don't know how much of a beginner you are but if you really are a "Noob to the DJ world" please know this: do not buy belt drive turntables.
    +1
    Traktor/Ableton /Komplete /MBP OSX el capitan

http://www.soundcloud.com/deejaesnafu

Tech Wizard

Thank you kindly for the resourceful info!!! Very helpful. +1 And thank you for the tip not to buy belt drive.

Yes..am a noob who has never scratched before. Do have a sense of mixing through software likes Adobe Audition, Acid and some composing stuff like Reason and FL studio. It's a new world for me but have been watching a slew of youtube videos with demo and tutorials.

ATLP120 with a shure m44g and stanton v4 headshells. For your slipmats, get a pair of sicmats.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Here's the ONLY advice you need:

Buy ANY direct drive (preferably Super OEM) DJ turntable.

Whichever comes up first/cheapest.

Check Vecked's article on this very site.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Wizard

OMG!!!!! I got it guys!!!

So I'm like someone who just got a learners license and got himself a Lamborghini or something.

I've a brand new Z2 $599 with 15% discount @ $509 and a used Technics 1200 for $300. Still waiting for my laptop which is being shipped. Got a good deal on that too.

So for practice at home I'm going to connect it to my gaming EV monitor speakers and learn the art of scratching, mixing and free flowing.

Thank you all for the kind advice and suggestions. Here are some snaps of my new babies!

25395475552_4f1db9da62_h.jpg25513982915_473e1938d8_h.jpg25514020645_fda40ef174_h.jpg

Nice set-up. Stick with it.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast