Korg padKontrol

Thread: Korg padKontrol

Default Korg padKontrol

Hey DJTT,

Is anybody out there looking for a 4 deck solution for a padKontrol and external mixer? Reason being, I'm about 95% competed with a mapping for my padKontrol that I have deamed the padKONTraktor, and I was wondering if there is anybody needing it? It requires Bomes and farmpad, farmpad is free but bomes is paid. It might be possible to make it only in farmpad, but isn't worth the time if there is no interest. Let me know.
    Last edited by DJPhaidon; 11-24-2009 at 12:42 PM.

13" MacBook Pro 2.7 i7 w/dual Raid0 OWC SSDs - S4 - Ableton Live 8- Lemur- iPad 2

Tech Mentor

So have you made it yet? It has been a while since your post. I too have created a traktor/padKONTROL cfg for farmpad only though. I have mine set up so far, still a work in process) for traktor like this:

MidiFighter adaptations
    Transport section (pads 1-4)
    Cues 5-8 (pads 9-12) +SHIFT deletes respective cues¬
    Cues 1-4 (pads 13-16) _____]
    -----
    My Own Adaptations
    NoteCC button = Snap
    Rel./Val button = Quantize
    Buttons Y and PEDAL are for the Highs Kill on decks A & B respectively
    Buttons Midi CH and SWTYPE are for the Mids Kill on A & B respectively
    Buttons VEL. and PORT are for the Lows Kill on A & B respectively
    The encoder (left most rotart dial) also selects I believe up to 128 scenes!
    LED screen outputs for different scenes also..

SCENE - Deck focus A
    MESSAGE - Deck focus B
    FIXED VEL - Deck focus C
    PROGCHG - Deck focus D

THese are also grouped as well so when you are on a certain deck focus, that led is lit up, and when you select another, all other deck lights shut off. It is also set to start 'on' deck A. This is also true with the quantize/snap buttons in my setup.

I still need to configure my knobs to something other that what I have it set at currently. Right now it's a combo between echo feedback for decks A and B on the first two pads, and then the last two pads turn on the 'swooshing' FX and enable them on the respective decks for that iceverb/filter/reverb effect. I want to make the knob1 and knob2 buttons by the large knobs on top of the padKONTROL be used as a quick way to enable TTFX and ''slow'' the record down. I am going to have to make it a super button but that's do-able as I have accomplished this same FX technique with a single knob on my VCI. I will post my config file if anyone is interested, but I would definately like to see how you have yours set up if you wouldn't mind sharing.

Yep, it's made. Still at the 95% mark cause I keep polishing and breaking stuff in the process. Bomes is a bugger when you don't think like a programmer.

I'll try to give you a quick rundown and hopefully a vid here soon, cause I have another one to film this weekend, much excite

Scene-Program Change select deck A-D, each having it's own page
    With none of them selected, it used to be a master overview, but that's broken

Knob 1 is loading
    when in loading, pads 1-12 are favorites 1-12
    pads 13-16 is copy the selected deck into the deck A-D
    the rotary selects the tree, x/y is the track
    hold jumps to top of track list, flam and roll page through track

Knob 2 is sync
    in sync, pads 3 and 4 are quantize and snap
    pads 5-8 are all trigger for master clock
    pads 9-12 are for each deck as a master
    13-16 are for sync

when any deck is selected
    rotary is tempo
    x and y are pitchbend
    1 play
    2 cup
    3 in
    4 out
    5 cue
    6 decrease loop length
    7 increase loop length
    8 set loop
    9-16 are hotcues 1-8
    Hold is a shift function that allows quick jumping of loop size on 9-16
    Flam is a shift function that allows cue setting/type/delete on 9-16
    Roll is a shift function that allows for beatgridding on 9-16
    setting is loop in adjust that turns the 1-16s into forward backward loop in jumps
    pedal does the same but with loop out on the 1-16
    sw type moves the loop on the 1-16
    port beatjump on the 1-16
    roll is also a shift so if I need to fine adjust any of the beatjumps, it's a smaller amount.
    so the 1-16 in any of the jump modes look like
    row# with each < or > being direction per pad and the amount in between
    1 2 3 4
    < 1/2 > < 8 >
    < 1 > < 16 >
    < 2 > < 32 >
    < 4 > < loop >

nothing yet for note/cc#, midi ch, rel. val, or velocity, but while I was toying around last weekend I thought of an even better layout, just haven't had time to implement it yet.

All functions work with 100% midi feedback, including the amount of hotcues, which stay lit after you trigger them. This is the sole reason I had to purchase bomes, but I'm glad that I did because it enabled a lot of other functions as well.

13" MacBook Pro 2.7 i7 w/dual Raid0 OWC SSDs - S4 - Ableton Live 8- Lemur- iPad 2

Tech Mentor

Sounds pretty interested. I like how you mapped the shift functions to the bottom three buttons marked hold flam and roll. I had planned on making just the roll a shift feature to control the looping to create a roll effect similar to yours, however I might have to borrow some of your layout because I like the workflow of the loops/loop sizing/roll/beatjump mapping. I went with the eq kills because to me they are very useful, and it seems you are going for total traktor control within the padKontrol, correct? I have a vci and I am using this just as a very super helpful tool. Farmpad+padKONTROL=Heaven

Tech Mentor

Well I am not too keen on traktor midi commands for led outputs yet, however I was planning on getting to that very soon (and perfect timing too, DJTT _just_ released an article on this!) Simple things such as the play button staying lit when that particular deck is playing. SO you are saying without bomes, I cannot do this with farmpad alone using traktor's LED out settings? Is bomes windows only? Would something like midipipe or midimon be able to handle this on OSX?

You can have LED feedback with farmpad and traktor, but with the hotcues to keep them lit, you have to have something that keeps the lit value, cause traktor doesn't resend the lit state, so the light will turn off if you hit the hotcue.

Midipipe and midimon might be able to do this, however I haven't messed around with em.

Tech Convert

hi there...
    i just got my PK and i was wondering: Is any chance to get farmpad or something similar in PC? I use Traktor and i'd like to have led feedback for loops and also... i'd be nice to be able to map the "hold flam roll" buttons.

thanks!

RT, Phaidon... Care to share some of those config files and tsi??
    Tre Tuna
    DJ and Recording and Mixing engineer for live and studio sound
    Traktor Pro 2.7.1 | MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4gigs ram
    Stanton STR8-150s | Ortofon Q-Bert Carts
    NI Z2, F1, Machine MK I, RigKontrol 3 | Dicers | PadKontrol