Technics tonearm only sending out signal on one side. Advice?

Default Technics tonearm only sending out signal on one side. Advice?

I've just completed another Technics refurb on mk2 1200s but this time came across the issue of sound only coming through the right channel of the master on the mixer rather than left and right.

I've never had an issue with tonearms so this is new to me. I tried the following tests.

Tested continuity from the tonearm PCB to tonearm pins:

White - Top Left pin in tonearm
    Red - Top Right
    Green - Bottom Right
    Blue and Black both 'buzz' out to bottom left AND the actual tonearm. I'm assuming this is incorrect.

I have replaced the RCA's and checked them between the PCB and end of the RCAs and everything checks out fine.

Advice appreciated.
    Thanks

Tech Mentor elohyspoissonpilote's Avatar

I m not sure to understand what you mean with blue and black.
    What pins do you speak about? pins inside the tone arm where the tonearm thin wires are soldered, or pins outside (in contact with cartridge pins).
    I join this picture I done form myself (I repair some SL 1200 as a regular "hobby" and dismantle a lot of tonearm for rewiring).Tone arm Wiring map.jpg
    You have to check all point where continuity of circuit can be damaged (and look also if the wire are not pinched or cutted around the arm articulation.
    You have to chekc alos the quality of solder on all point. Can be a dry solder. It happens to me not late than last week, the thin wire was soldered on the PCB but no continuity. I put some new solder and evrything was OK

Quote Originally Posted by elohyspoissonpilote View Post
    I m not sure to understand what you mean with blue and black.
    What pins do you speak about? pins inside the tone arm where the tonearm thin wires are soldered, or pins outside (in contact with cartridge pins).
    I join this picture I done form myself (I repair some SL 1200 as a regular "hobby" and dismantle a lot of tonearm for rewiring).
    You have to check all point where continuity of circuit can be damaged (and look also if the wire are not pinched or cutted around the arm articulation.
    You have to chekc alos the quality of solder on all point. Can be a dry solder. It happens to me not late than last week, the thin wire was soldered on the PCB but no continuity. I put some new solder and evrything was OK

Thanks for the attached picture. When i'm speaking about what i have checked for continuity i'm speaking between the internal of the cartridge holder and the part of the PCB that this is soldered into.

I have checked to see if it is dry joints as this was my first concern but it doesn't seem to be an issue. I was a little scared to pull the cartridge holder out of the tonearm but will attempt this tomorrow.

OK.
    Yes , you have to be very carefull when you pull the cartridge holder. Sometimes they come very easy after you take out the 2 little screws, but sometimes you have to pull it more carefully as it not come easily.
    Take your time

OK.
    Yes , you have to be very carefull when you pull the cartridge holder. Sometimes they come very easy after you take out the 2 little screws, but sometimes you have to pull it more carefully as it not come easily.
    Take your time
    I will give this a try tomorrow!

have you tried licking the connections on the cartridge. Also ensure the connections on the inside of the tonearm (where the cartridge connects) are clean.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Licking is only a short term action . If you really want to clean the cartridge holder pins, need to take coton ear stick and acetone or 90° alcohol and give a real clean.
    And keep your tongue for licking more interesting things, as the Dj status give some opportunities

Licking is only a short term action . If you really want to clean the cartridge holder pins, need to take coton ear stick and acetone or 90° alcohol and give a real clean.
    And keep your tongue for licking more interesting things, as the Dj status give some opportunities
    Maybe where you live. :-p It seems like every other person in vegas is a DJ now-a-days.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Paris, France :-)