Building a studio around Komplete Kontrol S49 vs. Maschine?

Default Building a studio around Komplete Kontrol S49 vs. Maschine?

Hello, I'm planning on putting together a relatively compact production set-up to upgrade my current backpack full of gear, and would like some input on which device would make the best starting point/ centrepiece for a new workflow.
    Both products offer the increased hardware control over software parameters, extended sound libraries, and performance capability I want from studio gear, but I'm unlikely to be able to afford both devices at the same time, so I'd like my set-up to be built around one or the other.

Currently I have: Logic Pro 9 (will upgrade with new controllers) - OsX 10.9 , an MPK Mini mk1, and a Roland Duo-Capture Ex interface (along with some Sol Republic cans and old JBL bookshelf speakers)

I'm also wondering if it is worth spending more/less on a Maschine model (Studio/Mini), or more on a Kontrol keyboard?

Any input/guidance is greatly appreciated.

DJTT #1 setup pimp 2012

Hmm, I have both a Kontrol S49 and a Maschine Studio. If you had nothing to start with, I'd say go for the Maschine. But, given you have Logic, realistically you can do everything Maschine would do in Logic. I also have Komplete 9, which is a LOT of stuff at my disposal (almost too much!).

The Kontrol S49 is a nice keyboard. I love the feel of the Fatar keybed (not sure how much of a keyboardist you are, but it's a nice feeling keyboard). The integration with NI software is definitely nice. If you aren't all-in with NI though, there are alternatives on the market that might be better suited for Logic. If you do intend to get Maschine later, the two integrate really nicely.

I had a Maschine 2, and now have the Maschine Studio. The studio is really nice, the screens really do improve workflow by quite a bit. It's also nice to have the features less "hidden" through shortcuts. Downsides are that it's very large (desk space wise), and does require power. It's also quite a bit more money.

So, if you like to play keyboard, I'd suggest the Kontrol 49, otherwise skip it for now and get a Maschine, and save up for the Kontrol 49 later.

It also depends on your workflow... if you are comfortable in Logic, keep in mind introducing Maschine changes around how you will use Logic.