Start sending demo to clubs?

Default Start sending demo to clubs?

How long did u practice before you started actually sending demos to the club? When do you know u are ready?

Also I saw a thread on what to say on the email when you send a demo but i cant find it no more.. has anybody seen that thread?

thank you!!!

Tech Wizard

It was around a year or so before I felt comfortable enough to start handing out demo mixes (via tapes and cds). This was back before social media and posting dj mixes online made it extremely easy to network and distribute mixes. I attended a lot of parties and clubs, made a lot of friends and networked.

If you aren't already you should start attending various club nights in your area and making friends with the promoters or whoever is responsible for booking. In person networking will go a long way.

If i was you, i'd avoid sending demos.

Best thing is to attend clubs/events/parties that you like and like to play at. Start connecting with the people there. Get to know the bar staff, get to know the djs, become friends with them etc.
    Your chances of landing a gig via sending in demo wont really work out, since noone will book a dj, that isn't known in the scene and has no reputations other than some mixtapes.
    It's all about connecting with the scene and the people behind the scene.
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

I think it was on or about the 18 month mark when I first offered a mixtape up for professional scrutiny. I thought I was good enough, but I wasn't ready as it turns out. Having said that, the guy who owned the club did let me play a slot but that was because he liked the letter I sent him with the mixtape.

Yes, I said letter. As in pen and paper.
    Live rig: Denon Prime (5000M's)
    Retired: Denon x1700, Denon SC3900's, Traktor, Technics SL1200's, my vinyl
    Wish list: Some Roland Aira stuff.

DJTT #1 setup pimp 2012

I have to agree that it's really "who you know". I find it hard to believe that anyone would sit down and actually listen to your mixtape, as sad as that is. We are bombarded with so much media today, and there are so many DJ's out there, it's probably never going to get listened to.

You should, however, work on getting your sets online somewhere. Then you can point people there, when they ask...

dont sent any "demo" .... go meet people and network. sending someone your mix isnt a very effective tactic at this day and age..

Tech Guru

Start being friends with people, eventually someone will ask you to play. Than that's the time to show what you can do.
    13" Macbook Air i7, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD | Traktor 2.7.1 | Ableton Live 9 | DJM-900 Nexus | NI Audio 10 | A&H Xone:K2 | Oyaide USB & RCA | HDJ-2000 | Odyssey BRLDIGITAL Bag

thank you for the info!! Yes I attend to clubs weekly.. the ones I want to start playing at! I've been doing sets at my house for like 6 months. I know I am not ready yet! but I am already planning for when I am ready.