Mixing in a new track in phrase and in time? (CDJ's)
    Tech Convert

Default Mixing in a new track in phrase and in time? (CDJ's)

Hey guys

I have a bit of a noob question.

Obviously when mixing you will want to be in phrase with the current track, call this track A.

So when i mix i make sure track B is the correct tempo, then wait for track A to start a new 16 bar phrase, then hit play on track B.

My question is, whats the best way to mix from this point? I find that obviously not having a sync, when you hit play on B it can be out of time, and if you pressed play on B with the fader up to keep the phrase match sounding clean, then people will hear its out of time?

I think im missing a trick here, but if i started track B on the first beat of track A's phrase and had its fader down, its doing to sound worse bringing in track B throughout the phrase?

I know thats a confusing read but hopefully what im trying to ask make sense! Basically, how can I cleanly mix in phrase without errors in timing from the point of dropping the second track!

Firstly, you don't need to have the track playing out to master as soon as you launch it. On 12 inch versions, you have intros and outros to blend in, so you could launch the track, spend two measures ensuring it's in time, THEN fade the track in. Secondly, you can mix in by holding the platter and releasing the track into the old one, which can be useful as your hand is already on the platter to nudge the tempo. This is what VINYL MODE is for. Frankly, I couldn't imagine using anything but this mode for mixing, but I'm from the school of belt-drive turntable learnin'. Thirdly, you could use a loop on the incoming track to make sure it's in time before exiting the loop and blending it in.
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by happydan View Post
    Firstly, you don't need to have the track playing out to master as soon as you launch it. On 12 inch versions, you have intros and outros to blend in, so you could launch the track, spend two measures ensuring it's in time, THEN fade the track in. Secondly, you can mix in by holding the platter and releasing the track into the old one, which can be useful as your hand is already on the platter to nudge the tempo. This is what VINYL MODE is for. Frankly, I couldn't imagine using anything but this mode for mixing, but I'm from the school of belt-drive turntable learnin'. Thirdly, you could use a loop on the incoming track to make sure it's in time before exiting the loop and blending it in.
    thanks, and i think where i go wrong is i dont fade in much, ill match the EQ of track B to sit nicely with track A then drop it at full fader volume on the first beat of a phrase as itll be sitting well already, then i EQ swap from A to B then drop out A.

But that means i go in with track B loud from the first beat causing me timing issues as obviously its sometimes the case that you dont hit play dead on the 1.

I used to have turn tables so know what you mean, just with CDJ's i just hit play as obviously there isnt the lag of waiting for a TT to spin up causing tempo issues.

The loop part i considered, however that adds more complication to aligning the phrasing doesnt it?

Tech Wizard

I use the loop method a lot - an 8 beat loop is fine and as long as you start it in phase with any 8-beat block of your other tune then you can maintain phase easily.

If I know the tune though I can generally use the cue button to drop almost perfect on the beat I want (no looping) and its only one little nudge to get it perfect - so practice practice practice and soon you won't need much time to get yourself synced up

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by csurfleet View Post
    I use the loop method a lot - an 8 beat loop is fine and as long as you start it in phase with any 8-beat block of your other tune then you can maintain phase easily.

If I know the tune though I can generally use the cue button to drop almost perfect on the beat I want (no looping) and its only one little nudge to get it perfect - so practice practice practice and soon you won't need much time to get yourself synced up
    thanks, yeah my concern is setting a loop in phrase, i suppose its all practice

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by InfernoUk View Post
    I find that obviously not having a sync, when you hit play on B it can be out of time, and if you pressed play on B with the fader up to keep the phrase match sounding clean, then people will hear its out of time?
    Yes, people will hear it.

Sync is not just some lazy people button, it enables you to throw stuff on the fly without having to be 15-second-worried about if it will or will not blend well.

So without Sync you have two options:

- Throw tracks before the fade in point, so you pitch bend it on the headphones if needed;
    - Have some magical button hitting technique that will enable you to hit play at the exact time, with no need to pitch bend the track.
    13" Macbook Air i7, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD | Traktor 2.7.1 | Ableton Live 9 | DJM-900 Nexus | NI Audio 10 | A&H Xone:K2 | Oyaide USB & RCA | HDJ-2000 | Odyssey BRLDIGITAL Bag

Quote Originally Posted by InfernoUk View Post
    thanks, and i think where i go wrong is i dont fade in much, ill match the EQ of track B to sit nicely with track A then drop it at full fader volume on the first beat of a phrase as itll be sitting well already, then i EQ swap from A to B then drop out A.

But that means i go in with track B loud from the first beat causing me timing issues as obviously its sometimes the case that you dont hit play dead on the 1.

I used to have turn tables so know what you mean, just with CDJ's i just hit play as obviously there isnt the lag of waiting for a TT to spin up causing tempo issues.

The loop part i considered, however that adds more complication to aligning the phrasing doesnt it?
    There might not be lag with the play button, but you can compensate by pushing the jog wheel slightly to launch much more accurately (in my experience).
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds