Jogwheel faster backwards than forwards (Traktor)

Default Jogwheel faster backwards than forwards (Traktor)

Hi Friends,

I'm having some very frustrating controller problems and hope someone can advise. After learning how to scratch on a EKS OTUS with Traktor Pro, the jogwheel has now suddenly started tracking backwards at a different speed to tracking forwards!
    I'm hoping this is something that can be solved in Traktor but cannot work out how. Here are some details of my setup and lead up to the problem:

My setup involves Traktor Pro 2.6.8, Kontrol Z1, Kontrol X1, Akai LPD8 and EKS OTUS on a windows 10 laptop.

The OTUS has a single large jogwheel for scratching on either deck A or B (to press a button to choose the deck). Yesterday I had a strange problem where Traktor stopped responding to the the LPD8 and OTUS. After checking with a Midi Monitor it appeared that the controllers had been assigned to different midi channels following a recent install of an Ableton Live trial. I uninstalled Ableton (also sad about this) and after several hours of hacking around the functionality of the controllers is mostly back, but now the jogwheel on the OTUS is acting strange. If I turn it clockwise it moves the track about 3 times as fast as if I move it anticlockwise. This is the same whether I have the platter pressed or not. The behaviour changes correctly between scratch and seek when touching, but with the speed off like this it is quite useless for scratching. Previously it was very fast and responsive in both directions.

EKS (who made the OTUS) folded some time ago and their controller editor software is quite out of date (it is pre-windows 8) and though there are some options in the editor software that seem relevant, they do not seem to cause any changes on the controller. I've checked the OTUS jogwheel output with 'midi monitor' from the Windows Store and it seems fine, but it is difficult to tell for sure with a jogwheel (the outputs number only increases / decreases briefly by +1 or 2).

The rotary sensitivity and invert command's in Traktor's controller manager don't seem to change the jogwheel behavior at the moment, though changing the Enc-Mode (it is 3Fh/14) definitely makes it worse. I know that with NI S4 and S2 controllers you can recalibrate the devices in Traktor - that's the sort of thing that would be great to do here!

Any ideas welcome - have a gig coming up soon!

Many Thanks,

Ad

Quick update - the jogwheel doesn't have this issue on another computer running Traktor. So I'm not sure what the original computer is doing to screw the signal...

Default EKS Otus issue too

Im having the same issue, I was told by a contact in UK its a setting in the MIDI agent

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Does your mapping use "Jog Turn" command for Traktor? What happen if you map any other parameter to your platter?

Quote Originally Posted by Stewe View Post
    Does your mapping use "Jog Turn" command for Traktor? What happen if you map any other parameter to your platter?
    I believe the mapping for Traktor may need to take a backseat for now. But thank you for your inquiry. I had to remove the EKS Midi agent from my laptop because it seemed to have caused other issue with my Win 8 laptop.
    After working EXACLY as I wanted alongside a Livid Alias 8, one whole deck just stopped responding. When I attempted to replicate the setup with my laptop (as all my tinkering is usually done offline with my desktop first) I was left with unusable maps for thwe other controllers because they failed to load one at a time and seemed to want to load multiple maps for multiple controllers everytime ZI tried to just 'add' 1 or another controller specific maps.
    Bam, five or 6 would want to load at the same time.
    strange.

The EKS Otus is working like a charm with VDJ, si I might bite the bullet.
    Thanks.

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by carl noone View Post
    I believe the mapping for Traktor may need to take a backseat for now. But thank you for your inquiry. I had to remove the EKS Midi agent from my laptop because it seemed to have caused other issue with my Win 8 laptop.
    After working EXACLY as I wanted alongside a Livid Alias 8, one whole deck just stopped responding. When I attempted to replicate the setup with my laptop (as all my tinkering is usually done offline with my desktop first) I was left with unusable maps for thwe other controllers because they failed to load one at a time and seemed to want to load multiple maps for multiple controllers everytime ZI tried to just 'add' 1 or another controller specific maps.
    Bam, five or 6 would want to load at the same time.
    strange.

The EKS Otus is working like a charm with VDJ, si I might bite the bullet.
    Thanks.
    Hmmm do you only use big import button to load TSI? That would explain why you have difficulties with importing multiple mappings to Traktor. There is another way to add mappings to Traktor if you click on ADD button located under the "Device" section of the Controller Manager.

The Big Import simply overwrites any existing mappings in Traktor.

But I'm glad that you at least find VDJ usable! That's cool.