Upgrade my DJ Equipment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Upgrade my DJ Equipment

I have been dj-ing for the last year at home. I have improved significantly over the last year and have, over the last 2 months, posted several sets on my mixcloud account. I have gotten great reviews from people and even from some Djs.

I am using an XDJ RX and i am getting quite bored with it, i considered getting an RMX 1000 to spice things up but its expensive and I am not sure it will do the trick.

My main issue is i'd like to start playing in clubs and the XDJ RX does not give me the comfort to move to CDJs despite the similarity. I am considering upgrading to a DJM NXS 2 and 2 XDJ 1000s but that is a costy investment.

The benefit will be more FX and power to learn a creative side of mixing and familiarity with this kind of set up to better help me in the transition.

Disadvantage being the significant cost (Approx USD 5000).
    What do you guys recommend and has this issue happened to anyone?

The classic answer: go for it bro

The real answer: first get gigs, then buy the expensive stuff

A few good reviews on some mixes is not enough to justify this investment... invest in more music and get more skilled. If you have troubles switching from XDJ RX whatever other Pioneer setup, then it's not the gear.

Trowing money at it will not make you a better dj nor will it land you (more) gigs... only skill & great music will do that.

Ps. don't get this the wrong way...
    If they don’t want to see the light…..just make them feel the beat…..

Tech Convert

Thank you for the response. Its honest and makes a lot of sense. I will listen to your advice and focus on other things at the moment rather than invest USD 5K in a new set up. In fact, i am now making my flight case for the XDJ RX so i can take it with me on weekends and play it at friend's homes etc and parties so i can tackle the anxiety with playing in public and practice some more.

Would you recommend i add an RMX 1000 to the set up? I really feel like i could use additional things as the mixes are getting boring with the limitations i can do with the effects and the 2 channels...

In terms of building a music library. how do you recommend i go about that? Buy each song from beatport? Thats also a costly investment? Can you shed some light how i should go about this?

Any other tips on practicing and how i should go about to transition to clubs would be welcome (namely how to move from playing XDJ RX to a NXS set up) _ i know they're very similar but not the same so is that an issue or what?

Quote Originally Posted by moyo View Post
    In terms of building a music library. how do you recommend i go about that? Buy each song from beatport? Thats also a costly investment? Can you shed some light how i should go about this?
    It's 2016 and there are ways of getting music that we shouldn't advocate because supporting artists is important.

DJTT did a breakdown of different digital marketplaces back a month ago that's worth a read.

Some times blogs do premieres or exclusive downloads of tracks. Those can be super key early on if buying tracks is an issue.

DJTT also has several articles on record pools. Those would be another good place to go

Hello Moyo

First, thanks for understanding my 'voice of reason'

Good solution to case the RX, this way it's mobile and you will be mixing a lot more in an 'live' atmosphere like small parties (with some friends). Practice makes perfect.

Since you are using Recordbox, I would not pay a premium for a RMX1000 since you have a lot of tricks (cutter, loops, color fx, hotcues, ...) up your sleeve with the RX. Effects, filters, ... are nice if used moderate. Take more time to learn how to use the features you have so the are an added value while you are mixing.

I'm just going to ignore the beatport remark...pay artists for their work (no compromise).
    Be critical in what you buy and yes..you invest in music library !
    Your collection of music is who you are behind the decks...all the other stuff is replaceable.
    Unless you are a drive in dj...you don't need 1000's of tracks !

Your set-up is almost identical to a nexus booth...a switch should feel natural because layout is very alike.
    Don't sync it !

and have FUN !
    If they don’t want to see the light…..just make them feel the beat…..

Tech Convert

Guys. Thank you both for the invaluable feedback you have shared with me. I got my mixer fitted this morning and the case will be ready by next week. I'm pretty psyched about this and have begun reaching out for some venues to play there (mainly to open for djs in the dead hours - figured i need to take the step and get out of my comfort zone). What do you think? They have asked me to send them my mixes.

With regards to the music, i wholeheartedly agree with both of you and i intend to purchase new music. The issue is what do i do with the 500 songs i have collected? They are songs i have converted mainly from youtube. Can i still use those in a club setting? I know for a big event such as a rave they will be too weak (even though i have converted them to 320kbs) but basically this is going to destroy my current collection (And ability to participate in gigs right now, not to mention that i have cued and commented on these songs etc). This is the dilemma. Please advise.

Hi Moyo,
    In regards to the converted YouTube music, I definitely do not suggest using those tracks outside of a stereo system at a house party. Converting them to 320Kbs actually does not improve the overall sound, especially on a club system or rave environment. Most semi-perceptive ears are going to tell that the tracks are YouTube ripped. My suggestion would be to isolate the tracks out of your 500 you feel most comfortable with and that would give you some variety in a live set. Then download those legitimately and discard your YouTube rips. I would think that 50 - 100 tracks should give you more than enough wiggle room. In most cases mp3(s) are going to be more than adequate, especially in smaller environments (i.e. bars, lounges, small nightclubs). You may not be able to tell the difference between a YouTube rip and a legit download at home, but the larger and better the systems out there will expose your music. If money is an issue, search for music on Beatport and then comparison-shop utilizing iTunes, Amazon, etc. That will save you sometimes up to 50% if you are isolating the music to mp3 quality.
    Hope that helps and good luck
    Last edited by CB75; 04-13-2016 at 07:30 AM.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2 / Traktor Audio 10 / Pioneer DJM 700 / Technics SL-1200 M3D / Ortofon Concorde Pro / Sicmats / Traktor Kontrol X1 mk2 / Traktor Kontrol F1 / Maschine Mikro MK2 / Roland TR-8 / Korg Volca Bass / Sony MDR-V700 / Dell Inspiron (Windows 8) / Chroma Caps / Tanqueray Gin

Tech Convert

Thank you CB75. I will do that; i am actually going through this exercise as we speak (you would be surprised how much crappy music i downloaded cause its free). Paying for music makes me feel like i'll be more selective and have a better library overall.

One other thing though, you mentioned mp3? Versus wav or some other format?

Buy your music yeah... YouTube rips is a bit of a joke frankly... I mean sorry to say but you don't sound hard up for cash if you were considering a full pioneer CDJ set up worth thousands!!

AIFF or WAV ideally but if money an issue just get the 320kbs mp3s. Most stores will let u upgrade and re-download your music in higher res format at a later date anyway.

iTunes store music also good enough for rig / pa system (AAC 256kbs) and they are reasonably priced too.

Plenty of good and legit free music on soundcloud too.
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Tech Convert

I agree. We have established that idon't need to upgrade my equipment and that it's time to pay for music.

These points are no longer debatable. But please keep in mind that I am new to this and now i am confused as to what kind of file i should download? Some are saying mp3, some are saying .wav etc.

I use recordbox and mixedinkey on a windows pc if that helps. We can then close this topic once and for all!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast