Kontrol D2 use case with regular tracks.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Kontrol D2 use case with regular tracks.

Are the D2's worth it if you're not using Stems? and can you change the tempo on each deck? I know it's missing faders and jogs which could be a deal breaker for the purists.. I was considering sticking with what I know and going for the modular Denon SC2000 jog wheel but with the price drop of the D2 it might be worth considering.

I think it's something i really want to try, but hoping it's not a case of 'ooo shiney' and then regret my purchase.

Has anybody else here switched to the D2/S8 and regularly plays older music/non stems?

How does the remix decks hold out compared to the F1? do you miss the extra 4 buttons? I own an F1 as well which I love and trying to remix up my older music.

Tech Mentor

You can adjust the tempo of each deck. I hardly play stems (haven't gotten around to it, but they are fun).
    It does keep you away from the laptop. Although, I still am not used to the browse functions. I find myself going back to the laptop every so often.
    They are usable for remix decks... I like the F1 better but I can see how I'd get used to it.
    The extra hub on the back is very helpful. I sometime bring an F1 with me if I want to play remix decks extensively.

It is all about your workflow and if you can adjust (as with anything). For the price, they are worth it. Worst case, you can sell them for more than you paid (if they don't bring out new models after or during messe).

I come from a traditional turntable background and use the D2 exclusively now (I migrated from turntable to cd, to S2, to X1, now the D2). I play mostly house and tech house, so it works for me.

I'd consider it for the price if you play must that is mostly sync able.

I can't see why you would need (or even how you would use) a D2 if you don't use Stems, AND you already have an F1...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    I can't see why you would need (or even how you would use) a D2 if you don't use Stems, AND you already have an F1...
    If i got these i'd be selling the F1.

Okay - but if you do use the Remix Decks (I do, and i love my F1), a D2 won't do as good a job as the F1.

I'd keep the F1, mate.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Okay - but if you do use the Remix Decks (I do, and i love my F1), a D2 won't do as good a job as the F1.

I'd keep the F1, mate.
    Thanks mate, yeah I love the F1 it's something I want to use more.

I was going to buy some SC2000s but on the fence as i'm over beatmatching, been Djing 10+ it's not really important to me anymore and when I seen the D2s i'm thinking if they are a good replacement for the F1 and I can live without jog wheels they would be a good shout considering the massive price drop they've just had.

But if the F1 is still better for remix decks then its probably a non starter as i'm not too bothered about stems.

Tech Wizard

The price drop got me pretty intrigued about this as well. It's tough justifying money on something I don't really "need" but more like "oh this would be cool".

I don't have the unit and nor have I been able to use it, but I like to think of it as a CDJ for traktor. I was using a CDJ setup for about a year (a xdj-r1) and I loved being able to take my eyes away from the laptop and get closer to the music, but I felt myself missing the huge library list that my laptop had and I felt limited without waveforms. Since I've moved to a DVS setup, I sometimes miss the "rawness" of being away from my laptop.

This seems like the perfect midway point to satisfy either agenda. Add it on to a DVS setup and you essentially have turntables with waveforms, add it to the Z2 and you have a perfect mobile and modular setup, add it to the S4 and you get even more flexibility then a S8.

But again, $600 is steep for a pair of screens. Especially given I don't use stems, and what little remix deck functionality I use, which the F1 is more then capable of running one-shots. Decisions... I'm hoping to snag something cheap from CL after this price drop

Tech Mentor

I'm in the same boat mate, luckily i've got a lot of controllers I can shift to fund this experiment.

I'm thinking either..

Two Kontrol F1's, one Kontrol X1 and a Denon SC2000

or

Two Kontrol D2s and a Denon SC2000

Both give similar results... The setup is a little more bloated than I would like but i'm thinking it's the required setup to focus on Stems/Remix Sets but still have the SC2000 for tracks I feel need tempo adjustment... I'm not sure how it would work in practice.. I'd probably stick with a 2 deck setup and have the Denon controlling the same channels as the F1/D2s

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by cyberninjitsu View Post
    The price drop got me pretty intrigued about this as well. It's tough justifying money on something I don't really "need" but more like "oh this would be cool".

I don't have the unit and nor have I been able to use it, but I like to think of it as a CDJ for traktor. I was using a CDJ setup for about a year (a xdj-r1) and I loved being able to take my eyes away from the laptop and get closer to the music, but I felt myself missing the huge library list that my laptop had and I felt limited without waveforms. Since I've moved to a DVS setup, I sometimes miss the "rawness" of being away from my laptop.

This seems like the perfect midway point to satisfy either agenda. Add it on to a DVS setup and you essentially have turntables with waveforms, add it to the Z2 and you have a perfect mobile and modular setup, add it to the S4 and you get even more flexibility then a S8.

But again, $600 is steep for a pair of screens. Especially given I don't use stems, and what little remix deck functionality I use, which the F1 is more then capable of running one-shots. Decisions... I'm hoping to snag something cheap from CL after this price drop
    haha same here : do i need it? Nope .... would it be cool to have ? Hell yeah! and for the price i can really say im thinking about it. Right now i was just thinking of finding a better screen for my dn-s3700. Love traktor but i would love to loose the computer screen.

Tech Mentor

@Goodbytes. Are you in the U.K?

This isn't really a "for sale" post, but i have pair of Denon SC2000's with CaseLogic cases that i may consider selling. I'm not really using them, so could be tempted to let them go.

Mods - let me know if this isn't allowed.
    Cheers

IAN WILLIAMS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast