How to avoid DVS Crackle?
    Tech Wizard

Default How to avoid DVS Crackle?

Not a total DVS noob, but does anyone have any advice for avoiding DVS dust crackle in Traktor? Basically when the needles pick up dust from the CV, Traktor audio drops out as it's trying too hard to read the signal. The user interface lags a bit too, and its very noticeable while playing. Usually a switch to internal mode fixes the issue until I can clean the needles.

I'm using Shure's 44-7 and some black CVs. I also have a record brush I use to clean the vinyl before playing. Maybe its time to pick up new CVs? Is there anything to do short of cleaning the needles every 5-10 minutes? Thanks in advance!

I think there is something else going on here, mate... Dust ios not usually that big of a problem...?
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Wizard

You would think, but I can pinpoint the issue solely to that. Without fail every time there's an issue, I take a look at the needles and they're covered in a ball of dust. Maybe I need to pick up a Vinyl cleaning kit to deep clean out the CV? Or just get a new one at that point. And its not like I leave the records on the turntables, I always put them back in the sleeves after use too

Tech Wizard

wash your hands before spinning and give your CVs a good clean. Sometimes I like to run the record with a little heavier weight on the needle (i know it runs the record down) to get the handruff out of the grooves.

Having the clean the needle every 5-10mins isn't really normal and I only assume your CVs are dirty regardless of you keeping them in the sleeves.

Borrow a mates CV's and see what happens. Are your needles worn down perhaps? Whats the DVS scope panel telling you in Traktor?
    Live rig: Denon Prime (5000M's)
    Retired: Denon x1700, Denon SC3900's, Traktor, Technics SL1200's, my vinyl
    Wish list: Some Roland Aira stuff.

Tech Mentor

Make sure the ground wires are properly attached and away from the RCA connection in the back of the mixer. It helps to keep the control vinyl as clean as possible. I also flip the record every few tracks or so to use a new part of the CV that is worn down less and has less chance of accumulating dust.

Tech Mentor

@cyberninjitsu what version of TSP 2 are u running ? and what version Of OSX if u are running Mavericks or higher please change your sample rate of 44100 Hz to 48000 Hz instead also remove flash and Chrome these issues tend to break core audio Apple hasn't came out with a fix yet. If u are running a Windows machine I am not sure what u need to do.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by JackalJyve View Post
    Make sure the ground wires are properly attached and away from the RCA connection in the back of the mixer. It helps to keep the control vinyl as clean as possible. I also flip the record every few tracks or so to use a new part of the CV that is worn down less and has less chance of accumulating dust.
    Hmmmm we might be onto something. I have two turntables, one is internally grounded and the other isn't. The one that isn't internally grounded, when there's a build up of dust on the needle, traktor just has an issue with the pitch, no crackling or anything just the pitch gets all wild. This is different then the internally grounded one which seems to have this issue. This only seems to be an issue since I switched from side B (the shorter time) to side A (the longer time).

Quote Originally Posted by MKMusic View Post
    @cyberninjitsu what version of TSP 2 are u running ? and what version Of OSX if u are running Mavericks or higher please change your sample rate of 44100 Hz to 48000 Hz instead also remove flash and Chrome these issues tend to break core audio Apple hasn't came out with a fix yet. If u are running a Windows machine I am not sure what u need to do.
    I'm using a 2010 i5 with Yosemite and an SSD. I believe I'm using 2.10. The mac is solely used for DJing so nothing is used but traktor, and I don't even use it for the internet. I'll try the sample rate change but I'm not sure if the Z2 allows for it.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Stazbumpa View Post
    Borrow a mates CV's and see what happens. Are your needles worn down perhaps? Whats the DVS scope panel telling you in Traktor?
    Double post but I didn't see this reply. I have a pair of Blue CVs which I'll bust out and try to work with. I don't think the needles are worn because they were purchased new by me last year, but its possible. I'll look into the scope panel but I don't think its going to reveal anything under normal playback.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by cyberninjitsu View Post
    Hmmmm we might be onto something. I have two turntables, one is internally grounded and the other isn't. The one that isn't internally grounded, when there's a build up of dust on the needle, traktor just has an issue with the pitch, no crackling or anything just the pitch gets all wild. This is different then the internally grounded one which seems to have this issue. This only seems to be an issue since I switched from side B (the shorter time) to side A (the longer time).

I'm using a 2010 i5 with Yosemite and an SSD. I believe I'm using 2.10. The mac is solely used for DJing so nothing is used but traktor, and I don't even use it for the internet. I'll try the sample rate change but I'm not sure if the Z2 allows for it.
    Cool LMK how it goes I am currently running a Mid 2009 Mb pro 2.53 Ghz 8gb Ram and SSD with EL Cap and the latest TSP2 and all my audio issues are now fixed. streamed on chew for 4 hrs last night not a pop or crackle I am also running at 128 Latency.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 3.01 /MacOS High Sierra/Macbook Pro 13inch Early 2015
    MF Twister /Kontrol F1/Kontrol X1 Mk2 x 2/XDJ 1000 MK2 x2/Maschine Mk2/RMX 1000
    DJM 900 Nxs2 /HDJ X10s