Another beginner...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Another beginner...

Sorry for the millionth beginner DJ thread on the internet. I've gone through a lot of old forum posts but the information is either outdated or not relevant to my situation...

I'm looking for some advice in relation buying some 2nd hand turntables, I'm a complete beginner so I just want to learn the basics of dj'ing (beatmatching ect. not interested in scratching). I listen to house and techno so this is the stuff I'll be playing.

Obviously I understand picking up technics is ideal but this is way out of my range currently. What would everyone suggest would be a good place to start for a complete beginner? I've seen the Stanton t62 or numark ttx can be picked up relatively cheap 2nd hand, would anyone advise against either?

As I say, I'm only a beginner and if I took to I'd look to invest in better setup in the future.

Tech Mentor

Firstly, welcome to the forum. There is a wealth of knowledge to be gained in these forums.

I think you shouldn't waste your time on turntables if you are just a beginner. If you are not willing to drop +$600 you probably cannot get worthwhile turntables. You can learn all the skills you need from a controller (aside from scratching seriously) for a fraction of the cost. I recommend going the controller --> Turntable route to start. If you don't like DJing you can move on without major capital investment. Take your time to really read and learn everything you can from the internet. Again, welcome to the forum and the DJ community.
    For all my VCI-100 lovers view my step by step guide to moding your very own VCI-100 Arcade edition
    http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthread.php?t=56270

Quote Originally Posted by sobi View Post
    Want to get better? Two words... jesus pose. 60% of the time, it works every time.

Pick up some cheap belt drives - if you can beat match on them you can beat match on anything, the controller route can work out cheaper but you can train your ears better by learning to beat match manually

Quote Originally Posted by Chael View Post
    Pick up some cheap belt drives - if you can beat match on them you can beat match on anything, the controller route can work out cheaper but you can train your ears better by learning to beat match manually
    Thanks for the advice.

Prefer the idea of getting turntables because I like the idea of collecting records, feels like it would be more of a hobby rather than playing off a controller. And if its the 'harder' way to learn I think I would rather attempt to do it this way.

Tech Mentor

depending on where you live, you can probably find a pair of t62's for 100-150 dollars on the second hand market.

you're going to need a mixer, but you can probably find one for like 50-100 dollars as well.

and then youre going to need a pair needle/cartridge and shells, so probably 150-200 for those new, but those depreciate over time so you will have to buy needles to maintain that, can be had around 50 dollars to replace the pair (every few months, depending on wear)

on the conservative side, you'll be spending 450 dollars (US) and on the aggressive side you be spending 300 dollars (US). that leads a deficit of about 150-300 dollars (US) if your total budget is 600 dollars (US)

i think you could do it, but the question is if you're willing to have the patience to wait for those products to come onto the market and if you will get to those products when they do.
    Last edited by Killing time; 04-20-2016 at 03:41 PM.
    Technics 1210 / Pioneer plx 1000 / Xone 42 / Adam a3x / UA apollo twin / Maschine mikro / Ableton live 9 / Maschine 2 / MBP Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Killing time View Post
    depending on where you live, you can probably find a pair of t62's for 100-150 dollars on the second hand market.

you're going to need a mixer, but you can probably find one for like 50-100 dollars as well.

and then youre going to need a pair needle/cartridge and shells, so probably 150-200 for those new, but those depreciate over time so you will have to buy needles to maintain that, can be had around 50 dollars to replace the pair (every few months, depending on wear)

on the conservative side, you'll be spending 450 dollars (US) and on the aggressive side you be spending 300 dollars (US). that leads a deficit of about 150-300 dollars (US) if your total budget is 600 dollars (US)

i think you could do it, but the question is if you're willing to have the patience to wait for those products to come onto the market and if you will get to those products when they do.
    I'm working in pounds

Currently looking at this as a possibility.. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2917232487...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Buy a "dj in a box kit" from eBay. You can find them for around 200-250... anything will work if you are learning

Tech Guru

Don't go the super cheap option. Get some cheap Stanton direct drives if you can't afford Technics.
    2x Technics sl 1200mk2, Vinyl, Shure m44-7, Xone 22, Audio Technica ATH M50X, Traktor A10, Maschine, Logic X, Ableton Live.

I picked up two Stanton STR-8 80's and a coffin case for $100 on CL locally here. Deals can be had, especially on older decks that aren't Technics. Be patient. Keep in mind the costs as listed above. There's more than just halfway decent decks. Mixer, monitors/speakers, vinyl in itself is a lot more expensive than digital files, and if you're going digital, you'll need a software DJ system like Traktor Scratch or Searto's DVS software along with a computer or iPad. And of course, there's cartridges.
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

Quote Originally Posted by Chael View Post
    ...the controller route can work out cheaper but you can train your ears better by learning to beat match manually
    Well it's not because there is a AutoSync function on your Controller, that you have to use it

I still beatmatch manually even using the Controller, it is a whole other way of mixing and the mixes Sound more, well let's say "traditional". More than one time Guests come over and tell me how nice it is to hear a DJ mixing what they call "Oldschool" and not making a Megamix out of his MP3-collection.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast