Decent budget mixer to use with Traktor A6 ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Decent budget mixer to use with Traktor A6 ?

Decent budget mixer to use with Traktor A6 ?
    Long story short. I used to spin years (like 15) ago and recently got the bug back after having a little impromptu session round a friends house. I went straight out and bought a Reloop Terminal Mix 8 which comes with full Serato and got stuck in. I liked the jogwheels as I always regretted not learning how to scratch properly, however after 2 months the thing gave up (some sort of static issue) and I realised that my heart was still with vinyl....Plus the fader was crap.

So ..... I snagged a pair of Stanton STR8 150's for £180 as one had a broken tonearm, a quick youtube crash course in soldering and 40 mins later I had fitted the new tonearm.

Yesterday I bought a Traktor A6 soundcard and the control vinyl on ebay, again for a pretty decent price. So now I gotta find a decent budget mixer as my funds are all nearly all but gone.

I have my eye on a DJ Tech DIF 1S going on ebay UK that looks in immaculate condition. However, I thing I am going to miss the midi controls that were available on the all in one controller ..... Therefore was looking at the DIF 1M ???

Just wondering if anyone as any other recommendations for a decent budget mixer that would be midi mapable to work with Traktor. Nothing fancy, just hot cues and loop roll for example.

Or if not .... If I get the DIF 1S would I be able to add something like the Kontrol X1 MK2 to the set up to trigger cue points etc.... ??

Much appreciated.

(oh and apart from Shure M447's .... is there anything else that could get me going for a bit without breaking the bank .... I know like most things in life, you get what you pay for !)

If I was you, I'd get a ZOMO-MC1000 controller, and one of the Behringer NOX mixers. Maybe a 606.

You should be able to get both for around £300.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    If I was you, I'd get a ZOMO-MC1000 controller, and one of the Behringer NOX mixers. Maybe a 606.

You should be able to get both for around £300.
    i'm honestly convinced you're a sales rep for zomo

Tech Mentor

In your case, I suggest you go for a controller. I don't know how much you are willing to pay, but if you go for the S5 (or S8) you get exactly what you want regarding the midi, loop roll etc..
    You can stick to your timecode setup and then move forward to fully digital if you feel like doing so. Don't buy super cheap stuff, it's just not worth it and will break apart sooner than later.
    Note that you need Traktor Scratch, not just Pro to play with timecode.

Cheers fellas, yeah thankfully the A6 comes with the Traktor Scratch Pro 2 license (well transfer ID code from the seller) so that is covered.

As for the S5/8 ... I was historically a house DJ but love my hip hop too (although never played it whilst DJ'ing years ago) hence why this time around the controller wasn't cutting it (excuse the pun) .... I get the S5/8 would meet the requirements but as I'm trying to getting into turntablism I wanted the decks to be pretty close together next to the mixer, hence why I looked at the DJ Tech DIF 1S ...

Apart from cost alone, the ergonomics of the set up just would feel a little off for me I'd imagine.

In a nutshell the masses of buttons on the Terminal Mix 8 kind of took away (for me personally) what I used to love about DJ'ing ... so this time I wanna keep it as simple as possible if that makes sense. Little mixer, little MIDI trigger unit off to one side if that makes sense .....

Default Also

I know the Z2 covers EVERYTHING I am after..... I just don't have £435 to drop outright unfortunately .... and on the off chance I take up playing back out again in bars and clubs that was the reason I opted to go for an A6 and mixer seperately ... Rightly or wrongly ... guess I'll soon find out

And I totally agree about cheap stuff breaking, I hear ya, I waited an awful long time to either find a quality pair of Techs or 150's at a decent price as I'm trying not to break the bank (or my marriage!!) Ideally I'd have liked some Techs but 150's at £180 with a £70 diy repair was something I couldn't pass up....

Quote Originally Posted by kwal
    i'm honestly convinced you're a sales rep for zomo
    I'd absolutely LOVE it if my day job was even remotely linked to my hobby, but, alas, it is not.

TBH, I'm a little worried about ZOMO. They seem to be falling off the radar a little. The reason I rave about them so much, is just because I LOVE my MC-1000. I especially love how it sits up behind the mixer - exactly where you NEED those Traktor controls.

There is NOTHING out there that can do what it can for comparable £'s/$'s.

And the reason that I'm worried is that if ZOMO DOES disappear, and my MC-1000 craps out, what'll I do then???
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

get the DJ tech 1S and a pair of dicers....BAM
    Traktor/Ableton /Komplete /MBP OSX el capitan

http://www.soundcloud.com/deejaesnafu

Not gonna lie .... I looked at the Zomo the monent it was mentioned ... Bang for buck and on looks and functionality it pretty much hits the sweet spot. I'd have considered it but as luck would have it I tapped in "DJ Tech" just before going to bed last night on ebay and a DJ Tech 1M (Z2 Clone) came up for £100 free postage. Reliable seller 1000 feedback listed as B Stock with damaged packaging. Suffice to say I clicked on the buy it now button immediately.

Now just gotta get some decent needles. Looked up M447 alternatives (purely as now I'm broke) and Ortofon MF7's seem to get really good reviews and nowhere near as expensive as 447's in the UK.

I figure snap them up for £70 new (about the only thing I won't go second hand on)
    Then I've paid
    £180 - 2X Stanton STR8 150's + £70 repair
    £100 - DFS 1M
    £130 - Virtualy unused boxed Traktor A6 with Vinyl and Traktor Scratch Pro 2 license.

Totalling - £550 for a reasonably decent old fashioned styled mint condition DVS setup.

Now just gotta learn to scratch properly !!

Last purchase will be some butter rugs :/
    Last edited by DJ Hackett; 04-29-2016 at 12:10 AM.

Get the DJ Tech DIF 1S - it's a fine scratch mixer!
    Much better than anything else for the price.
    If you're buying one new have a look at the DJ Tech DIF 1M.
    Not much more cash & you get midi controls built in as well.
    SC | MC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast