Need Help: Purchase Price Of 1200-MK3...
    Tech Convert

Default Need Help: Purchase Price Of 1200-MK3...

I need some assistance traveling back in time...

Okay, it's slightly simpler than that, but not really. I need to make as educated a guess as possible as to what I would have paid for brand new out of the box 1200-MK3s (not the 3Ds, the "3-K," the japan release.)

In 1998.

So, yeah I'm old. I'll skip getting into the details but it involves an insurance claim and I honestly don't remember what 1200s were going for at the time, let alone the overhyped 'rare' MK-3s.

Anyone have a better memory than I and want to take a shot at it?

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Location would help, as the prices varied wildly based on country and taxes. Also if its an insurance thing, they would probably be basing the claim off the "cost to replace" the item at current prices, not the 1998 one which would be completely irrelevant with inflation.

Normally if an item has been discontinued though the value is based on the next best similar item or cost to replace or repair (mom worked as a broker and this was always how it worked).

On any occasions when I had a claim in the past, I simply got a music shop to give me an estimate for the latest and greatest equivalent and forwarded that to the insurance folks and never had any grief even with a 30 year old set of studio monitors which had fallen down the stairs.

The Mk3's could not have been expensive as the Gold Limited Edition which was $1200 or thereabouts so I would have thought the Mk3 would have be around the $700-$800 range due to "Japanese coolness factor" which carried about a 30% premium.

I would think that seeing as the only Real Technics replacement are currently $4k each ..........