How do you think your mix or others sound, with Stems added?

Default How do you think your mix or others sound, with Stems added?

« I HAVE TO EXCUSE MYSELF IN ADVANCE, I'M COPYING A POST, THAT I WRIGHT ON THE NATIVE INSTRUMENT FORUM, YOU JUST HAVE TO TELL ME IF IT'S NOT A GOOD IDEA. I JUST THINK THAT THIS IS A IMPORTANT SUBJECT AND WISH TO SEE WHAT THE DJTT COMMUNITY THINK ABOUT THAT»

I just don't understand this. I'm not living in the same world. Stems marketing, have plenty of nice videos showing DJs playing with Stems file (sometime, without headphones), and everything, sound super...not necessarily my style, still, the track's go well together. But in the reality, it's not the same.

I play using four deck's most of the time, A-track, B-track, C-remixdeck, D-remixdeck or Stems. I work by ear, I don't use the key engine to decide witch track I put with the other, I do use it the narrow down a little bit.
    Now think about that, you have a lot of things going on, there's a lot of sounds coming out and quite a few in the same frequency range to. The only way you can shape your sound so that it doesn't make a big soup, is to be able to listen to every voices individually.
    -- You have to pre-listen to make enough space for what you are bringing, frequencies wise.
    -- Do you really think that, having the key infos to match it all, is bullet proof. All your tracks are going to sound good...remember you have two tracks, Stem file and a remix set (four samples slots).
    -- Choosing the right sound without being able to pre-listen. It's not possible, unless you know every details of your Stems track. Is this melodic part of the synth, from my stems will go well with the bass line, claves, congos, marimba, in my remix deck? will it fit, as well with the voices in my track deck A and the guitar chords in deck D? ....
    Tones of sound is going around. Why you have sound engineer working their heads like crazy in studio, to make it sound great? because it's not that simple!!! yes, it can sound descent or good, but pretty good and perfect at hi volume all the time? I dough it.

Just for the creativity, not being able to pre-listen is counter productive...isn't that their main sales pitch for the Stems CREATIVITY. For sure some are going to say, you have to know your music by heart...like the real one...I just don't want to go down this road again, we are talking about tone of sounds, samples, melodic, instruments.
    We live in a community of passionate people for music, we are surrounded by sounds, it's our way of living. Native Instrument is part of that, they sale music productions tools, I just don't understand this, do they to, look at waves in small screens to decide how they do patches, create, edit and classified their sound and effects, in their Maschine, synth engine. Probably not, and why is that? well, their is a good chance, it's because they don't see the sound.

I wish someone could tell me why it's not possible. I think it is, as important as being able to control the sound. I wish to take all the juice from my stems file, make a small loop, because this tiny part of bass is a perfect match for what I'm playing at this precise moment.

My plan B is. If in the near future, monitoring the sound individually it not possible for the Stems file, well deck D will be turn in a live input to play external gear.

Remember that one?

I don't intend to bash here, just want to point out, there is a limit to, what I guy can do...sound wise unless you are gifted.

JP.
    Last edited by jpdretro; 05-03-2016 at 09:40 AM.
    Montreal
    https://www.facebook.com/Nearfield.M...ref=ts&fref=ts
    Traktor, S4, F1, APC40 and twister

I think the success of the stems format is yet to be seen, the idea in principal is a revelation in some ways but it depends heavily on labels and artists jumping on the bandwagon and putting out stems. For me i havent really played around with them much, i recently bought 2 D2s in the NI sale but havent invested much time in playing with stem files - the only stems i have are the free ones from the NI website, although i do have a beatport cart that i keep meaning to push the buy button on. I agree with the pre listening to individual parts but this can be done by listening in your headphones and bringing down the volume of the stems you dont want, if NI decide to implement this in traktor 3 is anyones guess but im sure they will have thought about it. I hear playing a full set of stems is alot of fun but i would rather use them as something to compliment other tracks, something im hoping to get dabbling with soon

Well, something that help for success, is a good foundation. Just looking around, in the community I don't see a lot of talking about Stems, I think that's part of this, is due to Native Instrument philosophies. The community is less impressed than before when they see those marketing campaigns heading towards them with their big horses. Yes everyone is excited but more and more careful.

I know that, it is possible the isolate the voice you need to ear, but in my workflow, this is not practical. I use those Stems as a compliment to my mix, just taking small pieces here and there, this is the way that I play.
    If you have already two tracks playing in deck A-B, plus samples in your remix deck, well that make a lot of frequencies to share, even if you play with your EQ's. The principal interest of the Stems is base on the fact that, you isolate voices so, when you mix it with the rest you don't overcrowd the space you have, keeping in mind the quality of your sound. The other part of interest in Stems, is creativity for sure. Editing, cutting, looping, etc.. is totally exciting and that's where the hype is, I understand that,but we have to be careful with our sound. That is why pre listening is so important I think.
    Montreal

Tech Guru

Remember that STEMS are essentially a dumbed down and less featured version of a Remix Deck.

Remix Decks have all of those fine grained control features you are looking for.

Edit your STEMS into loops, create a Remix Deck, done!

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jpdretro View Post
    Well, something that help for success, is a good foundation. Just looking around, in the community I don't see a lot of talking about Stems, I think that's part of this, is due to Native Instrument philosophies. The community is less impressed than before when they see those marketing campaigns heading towards them with their big horses. Yes everyone is excited but more and more careful.

I know that, it is possible the isolate the voice you need to ear, but in my workflow, this is not practical. I use those Stems as a compliment to my mix, just taking small pieces here and there, this is the way that I play.
    Just do what DJs have done for decades, and make your own edits of tracks that are perfect for how you play.

Hello ImNoDj.

Btw, love that name.
    You are totally right, I do work a lot with the remixdeck and I love it. That will be the way to go for now, plus the one live input with in the near future. This live input is going to be Maschine Studio probably. A new challenge for me.
    Small question for you, are you able to save your remixset yet, in Traktor 2.10? for me this is still not possible
    Montreal

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jpdretro View Post
    Hello ImNoDj.

Btw, love that name.
    You are totally right, I do work a lot with the remixdeck and I love it. That will be the way to go for now, plus the one live input with in the near future. This live input is going to be Maschine Studio probably. A new challenge for me.
    Small question for you, are you able to save your remixset yet, in Traktor 2.10? for me this is still not possible
    Ugh. Dont trigger me.

5 years on, and NI still hasnt made the slightest effort to integrate Maschine into Traktor in any meaningful way.