A question regarding the famed DJTT Ikea DJ Booths
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default A question regarding the famed DJTT Ikea DJ Booths

Hey there everyone!

I have a quick question about the Ikea DJ booths as shown in this article:
    http://djtechtools.com/2011/10/16/ho...om-ikea-parts/

My monitor speakers are quite heavy active speakers with 2 amps per unit, they weigh 8kg...
    Now Ikea furniture is known for the honeycomb structure inside to keep everything light and cheap. But how should I go about mounting the top shelve on the Expedit bookcase? I'm afraid that If I just screw in the slanted legs through the honeycomb structure it won't be able to hold my speakers.

Any experience with this?

Mixcloud | Soundcloud | Facebook | Website(Dutch)

I mean, i would REALLY like to wake up and have boobs one day but there are reasons that just wouldnt work - Antifmradio

Quote Originally Posted by Jayvee View Post
    Hey there everyone!

I have a quick question about the Ikea DJ booths as shown in this article:
    http://djtechtools.com/2011/10/16/ho...om-ikea-parts/

My monitor speakers are quite heavy active speakers with 2 amps per unit, they weigh 8kg...
    Now Ikea furniture is known for the honeycomb structure inside to keep everything light and cheap. But how should I go about mounting the top shelve on the Expedit bookcase? I'm afraid that If I just screw in the slanted legs through the honeycomb structure it won't be able to hold my speakers.

Any experience with this?
    I tried drilling a base(4" diameter w/ 4 bolts) into the top of my Expedit unit so that a 12 inch pipe nipple could screw into it and have the same base on the top end to screw a small wooden surface to hold my 5" monitors and the screws did not hold up on the Expedit. My monitors are pretty small and they were too much for the cheap material used to build the unit. Within a few days the screws started to come up and the stand would wobble, eventually getting too loose to hold the monitor.

I took them down, and drilled 4 new holes around the other ones thinking I just did a bad job but again within a few days they were very loose. These units are good, but also crap.

yeah the honeycomb cardboard is not the greatest but you want to bolt all the way through it and either use a gusset plate or some big fat washers to distribute the load. I wouldn't use angled pieces to support big speakers- use something straight.

I had the very same issue when i built mine - spent all day getting splinters, sweating and swearing a lot only to realise that once i put my speakers on the shelf that it didn't seem stable enough, i happened to have bought 2 extra of the adjustable legs (i forget what they are called but you screw them to lengthen or shorten them) i used these to brace the corners of the back shelf - didn't bother screwing them in tho that way i can easily move equipment and cables about and still have the support and move them if they get in the way, I'm not at home to take a photo which would explain it better but will post one up as soon as i do

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    you want to bolt all the way through it and either use a gusset plate or some big fat washers to distribute the load.
    that's prob why my idea failed lol.

You can see the legs at the top corner of my mixer and on the shelf corner behind the turntable, if i want to move them i just twist the bottom to shorten them and can pull them out, along as i only move them one at a time it still offers that little bit more support for the back shelf, in the future I'm hoping to get some free standing speaker stands i can place just behind the unit to free up some space

IMG_3965.jpg

Capita 15cm stainless steel legs. Bought recently x4 of them for the cabinet under the sink.
    They also look great mounted under the Expedit/Kallax units (you can use them for fixed Ikea booths to raise them a little to a comfortable height)
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

Quote Originally Posted by SlayForMoney View Post
    Capita 15cm stainless steel legs. Bought recently x4 of them for the cabinet under the sink.
    They also look great mounted under the Expedit/Kallax units (you can use them for fixed Ikea booths to raise them a little to a comfortable height)
    Capita - that's the ones!

Quote Originally Posted by Chael View Post
    You can see the legs at the top corner of my mixer and on the shelf corner behind the turntable, if i want to move them i just twist the bottom to shorten them and can pull them out, along as i only move them one at a time it still offers that little bit more support for the back shelf, in the future I'm hoping to get some free standing speaker stands i can place just behind the unit to free up some space

IMG_3965.jpg
    That is the cleanest DJM500 I have ever seen in my entire life.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Quote Originally Posted by the_bastet View Post
    That is the cleanest DJM500 I have ever seen in my entire life.
    I have recently give it a real good scrubbing, the amount of grime that came off it was unbelievable, now it looks like new

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast