Windows user with some questions about Macs
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Windows user with some questions about Macs

Hi All,

I have been a windows user all my life but i am begining to get very annoyed with windows 10 mostly because of the constant crashes that happen when using the Djm900nxs. I have tried everything to resolve the issue, everything is up to date but still the crashes that Pioneer say shouldn't be happening persist.

So i have been thinking about moving over to a Mac but i have a few questions.

1) If i do go the Mac route should i get the Macbook Pro retina or the new Macbook? I am quessing the Pro would be better just for the conectivity options, only having one port on the new macbook seems a bit strange.

2) I have read that there have been problems with El capitan and Pioneer/Traktor compatabilty does anyone know if these have been solved? i would hate to spend all that money and end up having the same problems.

Any help would be much apreciated

I made the switch to mac in 2012 and can honestly say I will probably never go back to windows, I find it a lot more stable (not just for music making/djing) I have never had any issues with tractor but ha e had the odd random crash with ableton which has been no more than a little annoyance every now and then, I know people have had issues with el capital but I guess I'm one of the lucky ones, I know macs come in higher on cost but I will probably still be using my macbook pro in another 4 years, I would have probably gone through 2 or 3 windows based platforms in the same time

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

1. This will come in handy =)
    2. Traktor itself always worked dandy with El Capitan, there were some issues with legacy NI gear. You can find the 10.11 drivers for your mixer here.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    1. This will come in handy =)
    2. Traktor itself always worked dandy with El Capitan, there were some issues with legacy NI gear. You can find the 10.11 drivers for your mixer here.
    Thanks Padi. that all i needed to know. i just hope the pioneer drivers for mac are better than the pc ones.

Was it just after installing Windows 10 that the problems started? I've been holding off moving over to W10 for this exact reason...
    SC - WS

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    Not quite applicable anymore, there are a ton of docking stations / hubs available now ranging from $30 - $100 which provide a ton of peripheral support (and power!) for the 12" Macbook - so really boils down to what your size preference (and other power apps you might need to run) rather than what simply won't work for DJ'ing.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ATC53ZU?psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B8V6J2W?psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B2OYFBM?psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CKWJ53I?psc=1
    Last edited by deevey; 05-04-2016 at 12:30 PM.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by daviedavedave View Post
    Was it just after installing Windows 10 that the problems started? I've been holding off moving over to W10 for this exact reason...
    Yes. Don't do it, i have had nothing but problems

W10 native drivers are awful.

If you're gonna make the jump, back up ALL Of your drivers FIRST, then re-install them once you've installed W10.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

My mate has had nothing but issues since upgrading to win10 especially with 64bit VST's. I run win 8.1 ultimate with absolutely no issues.

If you are moving over to MAC just for DJ'ing, I can recommend it, but if you are looking into production, building a decent pc is the way to go.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Yep that's my worry, Ableton and VST becoming a minefield of bugs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast