Ableton 9 and External MIDI sync issue
    Tech Convert

Default Ableton 9 and External MIDI sync issue

Hi,

I tried something on a newly built fresh PC laptop.

Win 7 fresh install
    Presonus FireBox Drivers
    Steinberg UI12 Drivers
    Ableton 7.014
    Ableton 9.6x

Tried with 2 external devices (yamaha PSR-S950 or Korg EA-1) separately for external sync.
    setup both versions of Ableton to sync EXT (NOT running both at the same time)

Started Ableton 9 and get 1-2 bar sync issue as explained earlier in this post.
    Closed Ableton 9
    Started Ableton 7 and it works fine. No tempo miss-match issue on start of the beats. Ableton Starts with the same tempo as the external devices

Tested it both with Presonus and the Steinberg sound interfaces separately!!

It seems something changed after 7 that causes the tempo mismatch on start when Ableton is Slave to external device. Anyone experiencing this issue?.

Any help in this matter is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Tech Convert

Ok, so it seemed like no one was able to respond. Luckily I was able to get Ableton support to agree with my issue here is their response:

"Thank you for following up with Ableton Support.

I was able to discuss changes in regards to MIDI Sync and Live with my colleagues and you were certainly correct!

It looked like there were major changes made to Live as a clock slave in 8.2.5. These changes also came with a new options.txt meaning that that MIDI sync slave behavior can be modified in Live by adding a custom script.

Check out the article below for more information:

https://www.ableton.com/en/help/article/sync-no-good/

Refer to this article for information on how to use and install Options.txt files:

https://www.ableton.com/en/help/arti...txt-file-live/

The default behavior most similar to the version of MIDI/Sync available in Live 7 would be version "n" so please try this in your Options.txt file upon creation."

let me know if anyone is having issues, it worked for me.

Cheers,

Sameer Jaffer

Tech Mentor elohyspoissonpilote's Avatar

Po po poooo man, you saved my day. I had this issue since i use ABL but i began with 9.1 andfollowed the evolution to 9.6.
    So I was just thinking it was normal or "because of my computer" so I adapted my wayy of playing with that constraint.
    I use traktor on 4 decks and sync ableton with that.
    Traktor is the master and ableton is the slave.

I followed the tutorial you published and, including this option text in my Abl files, set it up to g (good).
    Now my ableton rythmic layers are starting straight into sync with traktor clock (and beats) and allow me to start up on the fly and don't wait few seconds until it's synced.

Thanks you again man, you saved my day (and the next coming)

DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj