learning the basics behind electronic / electro music (synths and drum
    machines) but could never settle on what to do. DJing so far as I can see
    has settled this debate.

But now i am at the point that all wanna-be DJs are at, the Bedroom...I
    have yet to make a even slightly important breakthrough. I am 16 years old,
    and have no idea how to get myself into the "game" (if there even is a
    general "game"). How did you start out? how did you get your self into the
    Club scene?

Obviously couse of my age, my equipment is limited to a Axiom 61 which has been beaten up more than anything else i own, a X-Session Pro and finally a Audio 2 DJ. But i just don't like the idea of being cooped
    up in my room with the dire dream to play a club. I do have experience playing at friend's house parties...but that is
    nothing compared to real life experience.

P.S. I just recently got signed to do a Charity event...but found out no-one is going to go...

To sum up...What pointers can you give a young, new Digital DJ. And where
    do I go from here? (And sorry for the wall of text)

Tech Guru

Really nice that you are so young and so into this.
    Did you alredy checked out the blog post series "How to be a successful DJ" ?

http://www.djtechtools.com/2009/08/2...sfull-dj-pt-1/
    http://www.djtechtools.com/2009/09/2...he-first-gigs/
    http://www.djtechtools.com/2009/11/1...-3-production/

It's a nice start.

(I'm also a bedroom DJ, but I have 24 years )

Tech Guru

i think in terms of hardware you are all set to do some wicked stuff. now it comes mainly down to spending the time to beef up your skills and then taking the plunge at every opportunity to DJ. since you are young I assume that there are plenty of party opportunities to take up on with little pressure to having to earn money to pay for rent and food.
    Traktor Pro 2.5.0, Mixxx 1.9.1, Massive, Ableton Live 8
    MBP 15" 8GB RAM OS 10.7.4, Audio Kontrol 1, Audio 2 DJ, Sennheiser HD-25 II
    DJTT VCI-100SE Arcade, Akai LDP8, M-Audio Pro Keystation 88, Novation Launchpad, iTM DJ
    ifnotwhynot.me | soundcloud.com | fairtilizer.com | digitaldj planet | digitaldj music

Tech Mentor

get noticed. myspace, twitter, soundcloud aren't gadgetry, they are essential. you have to get into the community, sharing tapes/tracks with others and search the contact to other djs.
    it's always good to have a profile which people can look at, especially when it comes to finding a gig.

if that point is checked, get out there and give club owners promo stuff. they love promo stuff, everybody loves promo stuff! you said that you spent years with synths and drum machines. then produce something and send it around the globe. blogs will help you to get your name out there or maybe even get you a release on some label.

you are very young, which is very good, (i sometimes feel a little old with my 18 years when looking at sonicc for example who is getting major spins from big name djs with his 18 years, heh) so try to make the best out of it.

greets

& belch is kicking it at 17
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Can't forget me! I'm only 17 too!
    All I have to do is play music, and make sure it is fist pumpin material.

Get into productions. That is your key to really making it today. It's not the 90s anymore and now a days you have to have good productions to help u get noticed, especially since you are under age and u can't hang out in clubs etc.

Good luck to you! At such a young age if you can master production at a young age you can really get ahead in this business.
    Last edited by LanceBlaise; 11-27-2009 at 02:06 AM.

You sound exactly like me except I'm 18 and don't really want to play gigs for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Everythingisfree View Post
    But now i am at the point that all wanna-be DJs are at, the Bedroom...I have yet to make a even slightly important breakthrough. I am 16 years old,
    that's the key phrase for me, you've got plenty of time to make an impact, don't rush yourself to breakthrough as soon as possible, or put too much pressure on yourself. some of the biggest names didn't become truly big til late in their 20's/early 30's.

i'd honestly look at doing house parties for now, and look to make an impact when you're closer to 'clubbing age' (mean that in the nicest possible way - but age will be very much against you right now - sucks, i know). keep an eye out for local and online competitions, you never know what opportunities they can create?

take your time to put something together with your kit that truly rocks, i started mixing at 15 (now 24) and back then (fuck me i sound/feel old saying that) only had 2 decks and mixer (and things were cheaper and we didn't live in fear of 'happy slaps' and our games consoles had wires on the control pads), so standing out was, in a way imho, harder to do as it was very limited and everyone mixed in about the same way.
    with the unlimited methods and styles of mixing that can be created with todays tech you have the tools to blow everyone away and shine above the rest.
    i know in a way that also makes it sound harder as everyone has access to the same/similar kit, but there are so many people that use it and sound shit - too many effects, bad looping, shoddy eq work, bland mixing and the worst offence; just not trying to do more than play one track after the other.

just keep plugging away at it and don't lose sight of your goal.

Quote Originally Posted by atticus18244fsas View Post
    You sound exactly like me except I'm 18 and don't really want to play gigs for a while.
    so nothing like you?

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud