How to connect LAPTOP to ANALOG MIXER through AUDIO INTERFACE ?

Default How to connect LAPTOP to ANALOG MIXER through AUDIO INTERFACE ?

Hi guys,

so to get straight to the point, I have 3 question regarding to laptop DJing.

1) Which AUDIO INTERFACE do I need for my analog mixer ?
    2) How to connect/sync the Interface to individual channels on my mixer ?
    - Mixer has L+R XLR Outputs + 4 RCA Inputs + Other
    3) How to have complete control with my mixer over Traktor Pro 2?
    - It really confuses me because I understand that my analog mixer is not midi or digital mixer with usb connection.

My equipment is:

- Allen & Heath Xone: 62 (analog mixer)
    - Laptop (running Windows 8)
    - Komplete Audio 6 (audio usb interface) {Native Instruments} >>> exchange for Traktor Audio 10 ? <<<
    - Polk Speakers (connected to receiver)
    - Traktor Pro 2 (software) {Native Instruments}

I really gave a lot of effort on research & manual reading (I'm barely eating & sleeping), so I hope you guys can help me out. In return, I will send you a song from my favorite compilation from any genre you listen to.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by 1NDEX; 05-10-2016 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Highlighting the 3 major elements

The good news is you have everything you need except for the controller

1) Your audio interface should work fine, unless you want the extra channels that come on the audio 10 and want to utilise all of your mixers channels there is no need to upgrade

2) I run an analog mixer with traktor audio 10, the general idea is the RCA outputs from your interface should run into the channels on your mixer and in traktor audio settings you want to select your interface from the drop down box (it will show once connected to your laptop via USB), from there select the output menu in traktor settings and select which deck goes to which output eg..

Deck A - 1 and 2
    Deck B - 3 and 4
    Deck C - 5 and 6
    Deck D - 7 and 8

Then its just a case of plugging those RCAs into which ever channel you want it to go to on your mixer eg

Deck A (1and 2) > Channel 1 (1 and 2)
    Deck B (3 and 4) > Channel 2 (3 and 4)
    Deck C (5 and 6) > Channel 3 (5 and 6)
    Deck D (7 and 8 > Channel 4 (7 and 8)

*after thought - you also want external mixing mode selected otherwise you will be using traktors internal mixer

Once you have set it up you will see its a fairly simple process.

3) As for controlling traktor if you mixer isn't midi then you wont be able to control traktor with it, but with the routing guide above you will be able to use the mixer as an external device and use it as you would with any other sound source. There is an ungodly amount of controllers out there to choose from - you get what you pay for. If you go with a native controller (which I would recommend) eg kontrol X1 / S2 / S4 / S5 / D2 / S8 everything will be ready to go as soon as you connect via usb, if you go with something that isn't native instruments then you will have to midi map it yourself which can be a tedious, mind bending task in itself if you have not done it before, Its by no means impossible of course but it takes a little while to get your head around - there is plenty of very good DJTT mapping guides floating around on the internet and the people in this forum are a helpful bunch

hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by Chael View Post
    The good news is you have everything you need except for the controller

1) Your audio interface should work fine, unless you want the extra channels that come on the audio 10 and want to utilise all of your mixers channels there is no need to upgrade

2) I run an analog mixer with traktor audio 10, the general idea is the RCA outputs from your interface should run into the channels on your mixer and in traktor audio settings you want to select your interface from the drop down box (it will show once connected to your laptop via USB), from there select the output menu in traktor settings and select which deck goes to which output eg..

Deck A - 1 and 2
    Deck B - 3 and 4
    Deck C - 5 and 6
    Deck D - 7 and 8

Then its just a case of plugging those RCAs into which ever channel you want it to go to on your mixer eg

Deck A (1and 2) > Channel 1 (1 and 2)
    Deck B (3 and 4) > Channel 2 (3 and 4)
    Deck C (5 and 6) > Channel 3 (5 and 6)
    Deck D (7 and 8 > Channel 4 (7 and 8)

*after thought - you also want external mixing mode selected otherwise you will be using traktors internal mixer

Once you have set it up you will see its a fairly simple process.

3) As for controlling traktor if you mixer isn't midi then you wont be able to control traktor with it, but with the routing guide above you will be able to use the mixer as an external device and use it as you would with any other sound source. There is an ungodly amount of controllers out there to choose from - you get what you pay for. If you go with a native controller (which I would recommend) eg kontrol X1 / S2 / S4 / S5 / D2 / S8 everything will be ready to go as soon as you connect via usb, if you go with something that isn't native instruments then you will have to midi map it yourself which can be a tedious, mind bending task in itself if you have not done it before, Its by no means impossible of course but it takes a little while to get your head around - there is plenty of very good DJTT mapping guides floating around on the internet and the people in this forum are a helpful bunch

hope that helps
    THANK YOU SO MUCH for your time & confirming that my routing is correct, but... it's still not working.

AAA) I've plugged the 1/2 (MAIN) TRS OUTPUTS to RCA: CH 3: L+R: (LINE) INPUTS and I still don't get the signal !
    What is more interesting is: when I plugged my headphones to the mixer I could listen a music coming from my LAPTOP/TRAKTOR PRO 2 just a little bit (hardly at all), but when I took the RCA ending connections (that are supposed to go to the inputs of my mixer) and I touched the metal part of INPUTS on my MIXER the signal was "normal", but I see no behavior on main monitor & I can't manipulate the sound at all.

So I decided to return the Komplete Audio 6 for Traktor Audio (Scratch) 10, so I can take advantage of connecting all decks and use the relationship of RCA to RCA.

BBB) Is there any difference between Traktor Audio 10 & Traktor Audio Scratch 10 ? Because I can't find it without the "scratch title".

Please, if you have any advice regarding to issue AAA & question BBB I would really appreciate it.

Ps: How I promised here a tech/house track from my playlist:

ENJOY !