Advice for speakers.

Default Advice for speakers.

Hello and greetings from Greece, i am new to this forum. I saw that you are very helpful and i wanted to share my questions with you. First of all i am an amateur DJ who plays in local clubs/bars very rarely. I want to buy a pair of speakers and a mixer in order to practice alone in my home mostly because i love music and not because i wanna be a super proffesional dj or something. The questions i have are what type of speakers do i need in order to hear pretty loud sound with good quality as well. Do i need pa speakers or monitor speakers? What size is recomended for me in order to fill with loud sound a 24m² (258.3ft²) room. Lastly i have to say that my budget is around 600$ for this gear. Thanks in advance, i will definitely try to be active in this forum.

Systematik

For home use I recommend studio monitors. Stay away from PA speakers in small rooms or in your bedroom, they are meant for events.
    There are pairs of studio monitors I can recommend for a beginner to professional:

1. Pioneer S-DJ50X's
    2. KRK Rokit RP5's

These both come in at around 150 euro per speaker.

Go with monitor speakers rather than PA, also have a look at the Behringer Truth 1031's as they got good reviews from virtually everyone.
    Live rig: Denon Prime (5000M's)
    Retired: Denon x1700, Denon SC3900's, Traktor, Technics SL1200's, my vinyl
    Wish list: Some Roland Aira stuff.

Default Answer

Quote Originally Posted by Stazbumpa View Post
    Go with monitor speakers rather than PA, also have a look at the Behringer Truth 1031's as they got good reviews from virtually everyone.

What about Tannoy reveal 802 ??

Default Monitor speakers

Hi man,

I guess buying KRK Rokit 5 would be a gud deal.

I am a beginner for setting up a small studio in my bedroom.

i will be needing a soundcard too, can anybody suggest which one to go for.

Regards,
    Raj,
    Mumbai, India.

I never understand why people keep wanting to use studio monitors for DJing exclusively. Monitors have a flat audio signal which isn't really that good for DJing. If you're also interested in production then they're almost necessary (and might as well use them for DJing too), but if you're just going to be spinning a few tunes at home, a hifi amplifier and bookshelf speakers will do as good a job and you can add a sub for some extra kick. There's more to set up, but you an use them for much more too. If you're serious about getting decent sound from your system, spend the money on a PA and just keep the volume down.
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteNot View Post
    What about Tannoy reveal 802 ??
    I looked at them recently, reviews say they sound great however there's much talk on forums of a buzz or humm coming from them. It would appear they're not grounded, a friend of mine fired an email to Tannoy about it and the reply said there was a sound but it was "within tolerance levels".
    Make of that what you will, personally I would need to audition them before I bought any as the buzz may not be an issue. All the write ups about them are otherwise excellent though.
    Live rig: Denon Prime (5000M's)
    Retired: Denon x1700, Denon SC3900's, Traktor, Technics SL1200's, my vinyl
    Wish list: Some Roland Aira stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by happydan View Post
    I never understand why people keep wanting to use studio monitors for DJing exclusively. Monitors have a flat audio signal which isn't really that good for DJing. If you're also interested in production then they're almost necessary (and might as well use them for DJing too), but if you're just going to be spinning a few tunes at home, a hifi amplifier and bookshelf speakers will do as good a job and you can add a sub for some extra kick. There's more to set up, but you an use them for much more too. If you're serious about getting decent sound from your system, spend the money on a PA and just keep the volume down.
    Same here. I used bookshelf speakers for a looong time. No reason to spend $$$ on speakers when you can spend that on another controller or more tunes.
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal