Advice on external recording
    Tech Convert

Default Advice on external recording

Hi there,

I was looking for some advice on the best way of recording my monthly mix's (from an Xone 92) without using a laptop, traktor software (that i used in the past to record from my s4 and a soundcard. I'm in the market for a new mixer to accompany my new CDJ's and have my heart set on the Xone92. I mainly mix Tech House and Techno and having used a friends I'm really wanting to go down that path as it'll inspire me to use it daily. So that decisions final.

Coming from an S4 to an Xone 92 I won't have a built in soundcard or software (as I now want to move away from software) so wondered what the best option would be to record wav files direct from the mixer externally. I'm wanting to avoid the cost of a soundcard and plugging in a laptop but by purchasing an external digital recorder like the h4n will I be compromising on sound quality in comparison to using a laptop or a mixer with a soundcard built in? I'm after a device that'll enable professional mix's to be recorded so if this impedes the quality I'll happily reconsider this option.

Does anyone regularly use the Zoom h4n for this purpose? Is it a good ally for recording from analogue mixers regularly when say like me, people aren't wanting to use a laptop?

Any advice would be awesome.

Tech Wizard

you can use the h4n just fine as you can run an input straight to it and it will record just fine as long as your levels are good. It saves on to a memory card then just import that into your laptop.

You don't need all those features, just get the h1n
    SC | MC

Tech Wizard

MiniDisc recorders. Small, media is cheap and exchangeable/erasable. Studio standard format.

Tech Convert

Thanks for the advice. Maybe I'll go back and take another look at the H1then. I do have the cash for a H4n so was thinking of going down that route in case I use the extra features further down the track. On what I've read it seems the recording quality is almost identical.