Need Help Learning the Basics Of Djing
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need Help Learning the Basics Of Djing

Hello I'm Brandon I'm new to the DJ world and I need advice on how I can get better at Djing. What should I practice first? I already have a whole setup Using Traktor S4.

1. buy a bunch of music you like
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

2. do what all the pros do hire someone else to do it for you...

lol If you want some good tips on DJing check out this guys videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr3...eA71X2quaKvziw

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by brandoncapela View Post
    Hello I'm Brandon I'm new to the DJ world and I need advice on how I can get better at Djing. What should I practice first? I already have a whole setup Using Traktor S4.
    Maybe you could tell us a bit more about what you already know about DJing.
    What do you want to improve?
    The S4 is more then enough to get you on your way.
    But keep in mind that you need to put effort into it and practice alot

Quote Originally Posted by Vurrnn View Post
    Maybe you could tell us a bit more about what you already know about DJing.
    What do you want to improve?
    The S4 is more then enough to get you on your way.
    But keep in mind that you need to put effort into it and practice alot

I started off Djing using Sync which was obviously a bad way to start. For about a month I practice for about 30 minutes a day if not close to an hour and its just usually 128bpm house using vinyl mode not sync anymore. If a set consists of 128bpm for every song, do I still need to use the pitch fader if traktor already tells you the bpm for the song? Do you recommend me practicing beatmatching only 128bpm songs to start off?

Quote Originally Posted by calgarc View Post
    2. do what all the pros do hire someone else to do it for you...

lol If you want some good tips on DJing check out this guys videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr3...eA71X2quaKvziw
    X2

Yes, Ellaskins.. check out his vids.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Denon DJ/MC6000KMK2/Launchpad S/LaunchcontrolXL/Traktor Pro 2/Bringin it since 96.

Live it and breathe it, when you are not mixing be listening to your collection as much as possible and get to know your tracks inside out. Practice mixing in and out of a bunch of tracks you love and do it in every way you can think of, then do it some more. If you can do - record everytime you hit play. Listen back to it and see what works, what didn't and how you can make it better, be honest and critical of yourself, challenge yourself constantly and you won't do far wrong

Learn and practice phrasing.

There are many tutorials on YouTube. Check out Ellaskins though

-Ellaskins tutorials are very good, Eans old tutorials for Traktor are still relevant too!

-Beat matching is not as important as you may think it is right now, and you'll get better at it naturally. Yeah it's a fundamental skill, but you'll be a pro at beat matching long before you've mastered the skills to be a truly good dj. Don't obsess over your beat matching.

-Set goals, as well as time limits for your practice sesions! Setting new goals as you complete them will help to keep you progressing forward, and setting time limits for those goals will help you focus on the tasks that need to be completed. "Today I only have a half hour, I'm going to practice mixing songs from the bridge to the outro only. My goal is to find two three songs that all sound good mixed in from the bridge, with minimal use of fx."

-Practice in the morning whenever you can! I've recently started doing this, and it's increased my productivity ten fold. You may not feel in the vibe to mix first thing when you wake up, but once you get warmed up it'll be some of the best mixing you'll ever do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast