Help with life decisions
    Tech Student

Default Help with life decisions

Hey guys,

I am really interested in designing tech for musical performance (EX: VR, Midi Fighter, etc.) and I'm not really sure what major I should do for college. I applied to be a sociology major, but now I am wondering if I should have done a form of engineering. I am very passionate about this and want to be involved in the design and creative thinking process for musical performance tech. Can someone with experience lead me in the right direction???

I'm guessing you're in the States?
    Not sure what courses are over there but my degree is in Multimedia Technology.

It was a broad course that covered music technology, video, graphics/design, web development & animation.
    It sounds perfect for what you want to do - we were based in the school of engineering & in the second year we chose the branch we wanted to go down.
    Quite a few people did exactly what you want to do (I did web) so maybe see if there are similar courses in the prospectus of the university/college you're looking at.

Although if you're looking into the actual engineering & building of systems then I think a computer science or engineering degree may be the better choice.
    SC | MC

Tech Guru

If you want to build devices, you need to do electrical engineering. If you want to do software like DJing programs, then electrical or computer engineering.
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

There is a lot of information available about the tech, if you really want to you can do it on your own, I am currently doing my physics bachelor but spend more time in total learning about web design and C(for, you guessed it, MIDI controllers). There is so much you can accomplish using free or cheap information(forums, ebooks, blog posts etc.) but of course you probably won't be as good as a CS master.
    MF Pro & Spectra | Kontrol S4 MKI | 2x Kontrol S1 MKI | MC-1000 | Generic MKI

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by AMANsound View Post
    Hey guys,

I am really interested in designing tech for musical performance (EX: VR, Midi Fighter, etc.) and I'm not really sure what major I should do for college. I applied to be a sociology major, but now I am wondering if I should have done a form of engineering. I am very passionate about this and want to be involved in the design and creative thinking process for musical performance tech. Can someone with experience lead me in the right direction???
    sociology is great if you want to go to law school or become a teacher.

but if you want something more applicable to technology, something within the studies of engineering or CS is probably going to be a good idea for you.
    Technics 1210 / Pioneer plx 1000 / Xone 42 / Adam a3x / UA apollo twin / Maschine mikro / Ableton live 9 / Maschine 2 / MBP Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015