S2 vs S5 - Which controller next? I need a suggestion from the experts!!

Question S2 vs S5 - Which controller next? I need a suggestion from the experts!!

Hi everyone. I've been lurking these forums for a while and i finally decided to register because i'm having a huge dilemma.

I'm an amateur DJ, as in I only play for fun, at friend's parties/weddings and minor private festivals. So I have no need and/or intention to go pro anytime soon. Still I'm a geek and I always look out for new gimmicks and toys to play with.

For the past 3-4 years i've been using a Kontrol S2 mk1. And i love it. Unfortunately it's starting to fall apart. Hard knobs, broken clamps, half broken buttons. And i give it no more than a couple more gigs before i have to replace it.

So I stumbled upon both the S2 mk2 and the new S5. They both look amazing but i'm really undecided. On one side i'd like to try new stuff (stems, remix decks, name it), on the other i fear it'd be overkill for my usual playstyle.

So here's the question:
    what would be better for me between S2 and S5 given that...

- Most of the time i have the decks on sync (90% of my library ranges between 125 and 130bpm);
    - I barely use the jogs if not for very rare pitchbending when i play tracks with big BPM difference;
    - If i have to move along a track i just use the knobs since the jogs are slow as hell;
    - I play 90% house/edm/dubstep. so sync is king. When i play other genres (usually hip hop and rock) i tend to organize my playlist on ascending/descending BPM so sync still comes in handy most of the times;
    - I only play on 2 decks. I would have no idea what to do with 4
    - Given the very "Family&Friends" nature of my sets i get a retarded amount of requests for tracks i don't have in my collection. I usually rely on an external mixer to add an iPad with spotify to my setup, but an AUX input would be lovely.
    - I make frequent use of effects and looping (being a lousy amateur DJ i have to add variety somehow!!) and those freeze/slice functions look really cool.
    - I like to drop some oneshot samples from time to time. Atm i just do it manually from the laptop when i need to. I suppose that's when a 3rd/4th channel would be useful.

Also:
    Is S5 overkill if I wont be using Stems anyday soon?
    Is S5 overkill if I wont be using 4 decks?
    Can S5 do jog-like/pitchbend controls in the case i need em?
    Can S2 mk2 play in freeze/slice mode?

Wish there was an S3 with all the new features but just 2 channels :P

Sorry for the long post. Hope somebody can shed some light on my doubts.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

I think it might be worth considering the S4 as a nice mid point. If you don't care about the lack of displays it can do everything the S5 does (including stem deck controls) and you still keep traditional controls but if you ain't gonna mourn the lack of those you can go with the S5 or a Z1/X1/F1 combo.

- S5 is perfectly fine for regular deck controls, you don't need to be a Stem/Remix freak to enjoy it.
    - Unless you very rarely have a need for a 3rd or 4th deck then it's really nice to have them around. The fact that they have dedicated deck filter controls and extra hot cue buttons along with loop length display it helps you be a bit more hands on control.
    - S5 controls pitch-bend and scrubbing using the touchstrip (and shows the beat phase as well) BPM changes are adjusted using the encoders near the display.
    - Not really sure about the S2 having freeze controls but you can easily solve that with one of the user made mappings around.

All in all it does sound like you might enjoy the S5 quite a bit, I'd suggest you take advantage of the current $200 off sale going on right now (ends on May 31st). Worst case scenario you can resell it after that is over and make some money on top.

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    I think it might be worth considering the S4 as a nice mid point. If you don't care about the lack of displays it can do everything the S5 does (including stem deck controls) and you still keep traditional controls but if you ain't gonna mourn the lack of those you can go with the S5 or a Z1/X1/F1 combo.

- S5 is perfectly fine for regular deck controls, you don't need to be a Stem/Remix freak to enjoy it.
    - Unless you very rarely have a need for a 3rd or 4th deck then it's really nice to have them around. The fact that they have dedicated deck filter controls and extra hot cue buttons along with loop length display it helps you be a bit more hands on control.
    - S5 controls pitch-bend and scrubbing using the touchstrip (and shows the beat phase as well) BPM changes are adjusted using the encoders near the display.
    - Not really sure about the S2 having freeze controls but you can easily solve that with one of the user made mappings around.

All in all it does sound like you might enjoy the S5 quite a bit, I'd suggest you take advantage of the current $200 off sale going on right now (ends on May 31st). Worst case scenario you can resell it after that is over and make some money on top.
    First of all thanks for the kind reply
    I've spent some more time checking out reviews and videos about the S5 and just ordered it so i can get it for 200$ off :P
    I suppose it'll take me some time to adapt to it but apart minor changes on the tempo settings for the decks i think i'll be fine with all the other things.
    Looking forward to play with it. Also as u stated if i'm not comfy with it i can always sell it back for almost the full price and get a used s4 instead which i see you can find at very nice prices on ebay :P

Just a last question. I see many topics about the lack of a button/combination to reset a deck's bpm. is that true? I found the little button above the tempo lever on the S2 pretty damn useful..
    Guess i'll have to just make a hotkey on traktor and use the computer for that.

Systematik

The S2 can't do freeze mode. I have the S5 and I don't use stems/remix decks, also rarely use four decks (mostly three). I'm coming from a S2-like controller and I'd say the S5 is the perfect all around controller for your needs. The S5 has pitch/tempo functionality when you need them, they work in 0,01 increments and increments of 1, so coming from a tempo fader, I can actually say that tempo adjustments are quicker using a knob...