Would you use a cheap photobooth alternative?!

Default Would you use a cheap photobooth alternative?!

Hi all,

I know some DJs have added photobooths to their services. Those booths typically cost $5-8K and get rented out for around $500-1000+ per event.

I am in the process of making a prototype of a photobooth (www.usiebooth.com) that is a stand with an enclosure that has a tablet, a ring flash and a camera. Now the camera is better than your smart phone camera but it is no DSLR. The software allows you to customize the strip for each event and even have a .GIF option. And while you can print out the pics if you have a printer, it is most ideal for instant sharing. So each guest can either email or text it to themselves after a photo.

Anyway, this obviously isn't as professional as the other booths but it takes less than 10 minutes to set up and it's something fun for the guests to engage in. Plus, it will only cost around $600-800 to buy. So, theoretically, you could offer it as an add-on for only $100-200 per event.

I'm just wondering if this is something that DJs would be interested in. I'd love to just hear your thoughts. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well for me no interest...I am DJ not Photographer so why should I Need one of those.
    If customer (for example at a wedding) ask me if I could take Pictures as well I give them the phonenumber of a professional Photographer. Those guys allready lost most of their Jobs when photography turned from Analog to Digital so why should I steal one of their last income possibilities?
    Then next reason: Well I am DJ not Photographer...If I had any affinity to taking Pictures I wouldn't have focused on Music.

Event Managers like wedding planners, might be more interested but do not Forget: For weddings it better Looks like a professional device and not like something built by Doc Emmeth Brown in his Garage. And maybe in a White Color for weddings is also a plus Point.

Thanks for your thoughts Stephen.

And I don't know why the attached picture shows up like that. For a better view of what the product would look like, you can go to www.usiebooth.com

But I appreciate your feedback.

I went on your Webpage, well tell me what exactly is this more than just a Tablet with a LED-Flashlight?

Hi Stephen,

Well, I guess in the same way that a professional photobooth is just a tablet, a DSLR camera and a flash, this technically is just a tablet, a 8 megapixel camera and a dimmable ring flash. But the difference in just using a tablet with a light source and this booth is that you'd be using a front-facing camera on a tablet, which is typically 1.2 megapixels and ours is 8 megapixels. Also, the enclosure houses a diffused light source, the tablet and the camera, which creates an easy set-up and sleek look. And most importantly, it has professional photobooth software that allows for adding filters, changing the layout, and instant social media sharing as well as printing.

Really the only difference between this and a professional photobooth is the DSLR camera. But, as most photographers would tell you, when your subjects are 3 feet in front of you and standing still, you don't really need a DSLR.

I realize that you said you are a DJ and not a photographer so you wouldn't be interested. But given that a lot of DJs have bought professional photobooths to add on to their services, I was just wondering if this community would be interested in a more affordable solution.

Hope this answers your question.

I have seen picture booths and backdrops at a lot more events recently. If you can improve your revenue and bookings by adding this option, by all means do it.

(not me...i lugged around turntables and records for too many years...done with lugging shit around)
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Haha. Yeah, Keith, I hear you. I definitely don't think it's for everyone. Plus, I'm hoping that since our booth fits into a small carrying case with wheels, it wouldn't be too hard to lug around. But it obviously still adds another to-do to your list and I can see why someone wouldn't want that.

Stephen, I posted a long response to your question yesterday but, for some reason, it didn't get posted. So I'll try to quickly recap. You could say that this is just a tablet, a camera and a flash the same way that you could say a professional photobooth is just a tablet, a DSLR camera and a flash. The differences between with this product and just using a tablet with a LED flash is that a tablet front-facing camera (which is what you would be using) is a 1.2 megapixel camera while ours is a 8 megapixel camera. Also, you would still have to buy a mounting tripod and something to mount the light. Ours comes in a sleek, compact unit with a stand. And, most importantly, the software that comes with it is professional photobooth software- it allows users to add filters, you can change layout and text/logos, users can email or instantly share on social media. It offers much more options than tablet applications out there.

People could definitely just use a tablet with a light but you would probably spend the same amount setting the whole thing up (ex: mount, tripod, light, software) and it wouldn't be as good. Hope that answers your question.

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Goli View Post
    Stephen, I posted a long response to your question yesterday but, for some reason, it didn't get posted.
    Approved!