Any DJ Player app DVS users here?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Any DJ Player app DVS users here?

Would like to hear experiences with the DJ Player app in DVS use: stability, equipment, pros, cons etc.

Tech Wizard

Hi,
    Yes i have a DVS setup with DJPP and the Denon MCX8000. Just finished my midi map (posting it soon) but because i was new to the MCX, and the MCX is brand new, so could have some bugs, no full midi map i left it for a bit.
    Picking it up again now!
    I can say this at least:

pros: pick your control vinyl of choice - DJPP eats (almost) all of them. (No reports from the Rekordbox vinyl yet).
    thru mode for real vinyl - signal goes fully true the app including recording internally!
    Many DVS 'specials' and midi mapping possibilities like DVS FX, assigning control decks to different players or even more than one at a time

I chose for the Serato Performance vinyl. DJPP allows 'needle drop aka absolute mode' with Serato vinyl/cd's only.
    I have to delve in my needle/stylus setup again to check some skips.

And i wonder how important 'DVS/digi needles' really are? Anyone knows?
    Anyway, imo it's really cool and impressive!

Which ipad are you using?
    Which needles and turntables?
    What other soundcardrs are proven to work with it, besides A6 and DS1? Would MixVibes U-Mix 44 work?
    Are there any mappings for the Behringer PL1?

Quote Originally Posted by HETTO View Post
    pick your control vinyl of choice - DJPP eats (almost) all of them. (No reports from the Rekordbox vinyl yet).
    https://rekordbox.com/dvs/rekordbox_Control_Signal.zip

Download it and tell us
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by electroshock View Post
    Which ipad are you using?
    Which needles and turntables?
    What other soundcardrs are proven to work with it, besides A6 and DS1? Would MixVibes U-Mix 44 work?
    Are there any mappings for the Behringer PL1?
    I have an iPad 4 - not recommended anymore, at least definitely not for mixing 4 decks with STEMS etc. iPad Air 1 or better is recommended.
    Concorde pro on SL1200's. I have that since 2003 or so. Should buy new needles if I'm picking this up now the SL1200's are hooked up again.
    A6, A10 and DS1 as you say, and It indeed looks like the U-mix44 will work indeed. Can't promise but the nr1 importance for iOS is:
    Class compliance. Which means no OS X drivers or not any drivers needed, e.g. 'Driverless'.
    One of the confusing parts of going this route is you have to figure stuff out, or find proof on the net. The MCX8000 is not advertised as 'class compliant', for example. But I saw no OS X drivers and took the iPad to the DJ Store and it works.
    If you search for the U-mix44 (manual I think) you see Asio drivers only - this points to being class compliant.
    There are more SC's for sure, but don't know which and/or forgot. You can also put phono pre-amps between any class compliant 4 in 4 out sound card and have it working, but would you want that?

If you go for a controller with sound card the Akai AMX is a good choice and DJPP has a factory midi map inside, so should work great BUT a downside is you need a powered hub besides the usb3 camera adapter..
    The Numark N4 also should work straight away - the app has a factory mapping for it too..

In fact - I have a PL-1 mapping on my HD. I sold the PL-1 but I should have a backup of the DJPP mapping.
    I never put it online, but have no problem giving it to you, or might upload it still. I had the PL-1 mapped as a 4 deck player/platter,
    No DVS things in it.
    Last edited by HETTO; 06-08-2016 at 08:10 AM.
    DJ: Denon MCX8000/DJ Player Pro/SL1200 & CDJ1000's. Serato DJ on iMac.
    Studio: LPX/Synthmaster/AU's/Access Virus A/Machine Drum/XV5050/Röde K2/iMac

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by SlayForMoney View Post
    Yeah, can try the cd's to find out of the signal works. Won't be soon I think though

Tech Wizard

.. Like I said I just finished a massive mapping. But there's something strange going on, so my priorities atm are not DVS but checking if everything works as it should - I haven't mixed a set with the map to check and 'feel' it
    for instance..

You could also go to the 'forum' of DJP, find the link on djplayerpro website

Oh and RE: the Rekordbox vinyl again - these were just out a couple of days when I wanted control vinyl.
    But I made the safe choice for Serato ones, with the advantage of needle drop possibility.
    So I have these for 7 weeks or so, so at the moment I don't really care about the RB signal really, unless I have the time and feel like trying stuff out again.
    Especially since I just have a license for Serato DJ since I got the MCX, a couple of weeks after that.
    EDIT:
    But i can't use DVS in SDJ just like that - i'd have to buy the "DSV expansion pack" first.
    So there you go with a differences in price.
    Last edited by HETTO; 06-08-2016 at 08:16 AM.

Thanks for the infos.

Would ipad mini 4 be ok specs-wise? Display dimension concerns me but it's still almost an inch larger in diagonal than XDJ-RX's display for example (7,9" vs 7"), which takes the duty for two decks.

How the PL-1 performed with DJPP? Thinking of getting one or two as portable "kit", maybe in conjunction with AMX instead of all in one controller. Would that have any shortcomings in comparison? And can I use the PL-1 in a DVS setup with DJPP for cue points, drumming and stuff?

Tech Wizard

The ipad Mini 4 should outperform the Air 1, so yes. I'm considering a Mini 4 myself, but i'm not sure if i will be disappointed with the smaller size.
    The PL-1 performed well with DJPP - only 1 thing did not: the encoder ring led values are not 100% correct. I got them working, but the values don't correspond 100%. You have the correct values on the ipad screen though.
    I myself however did NOT perform well with one PL-1. I could not live with 4 decks on 1 controller and started pressing CUE or pauze on master decks - something i NEVER did before. So 2 would be better but have another slight disadvantage: you have to press the deck 1,2,3,4 also when you use 2 decks - no way around this. You could map the things with, for instance, deck button 3 is also 1 etc.
    Yes, you could trigger que's etc. for sure.
    Something also important about the PL-1; from factory only the deck side (bottom) is 4 decks, the top side (encoders) are only midi channel 1. I mailed Behringer however and they gave me a sysex file that i loaded each time before use. This sysex file made the encoders (i think everything) 4 deck e.g. 4 midi channels.
    As you see the PL-1 has shortcomings and needs attention - not sure i recommend the thing. But i'm sure there are some ppl happy with the thing.
    And one thing you see also, is that going this route with DJPP is you have to put some work in it. You'd have to accept that or like it. You won't have that with any of the supported devices (or with a out of the box Serato/Traktor etc. hardware/software combo).
    AMX is supported.

If the U-mix44 works, you could also get a MM-1 midi mixer because it has a 4 port hub. You won't have the stuff thats built in the AMX , nor the AKAI quality (i suppose) but you then will also have the option for mixing 4 decks internally with a 4 deck mixer layout.

Hope this helps. I advice going to the DJPP Slack 'forum' if you have more questions, i'm really busy myself now ;-)
    Cheers

Tech Wizard

Oh, and i would have a MM-1 map for you as well.
    I'm not sure about uploading these maps though, because i had a modular setup, so i didn't map stuff twice if i already had something mapped elsewhere. So makes more sense with all of these together.
    (Started with a Zomo MC-1000, added a MM-1 and DC-1, and then the PL-1. In the end MC-1000 was transport + FX, MM-1 mixing, DC-1 Cues/loops etc, PL-1 4 deck platter)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast