This is my first time of buying dj equipment, need some help please
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default This is my first time of buying dj equipment, need some help please

Hello

I am 27 years old and this is my first time of buying dj equipment. I want to play at home in my room and maybe later in life I want to play in small parties.
    Need some suggestions of what to buy. I already have a pair of audio technica m50's headphones. The shop suggested the Native Instruments Traktor Kontrol S2 MKII as my main mixer. The problem is choosing the speakers. Which type of speakers should I buy? A pair of studio monitors like krk 8 g3 or a pair of active pa speakers like the Alto tx 8?

What are your suggestions please

Thank you.

Tech Guru

Studio monitors get my vote because PAs are quite big and will take up a lot of space and you'd be running them at the lowest volume for practice.
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

Yeah second vote for studio monitors, you'll get a much cleaner sound from a pair of well placed monitors rather than PA speakers.

As someone who owned and mixed at home on PA speakers for years I often found the volume creeping higher and higher while I was mixing.... to a point where they were rattling the fixtures and fittings in my neighbours houses.

If you like you neighbours and want to keep it that way, go for monitors.
    MBP 13 2012 | 2x NI Kontrol X1 Mk2 | NI Kontrol F1 | NI Audio 2 | Behringer CMD MM-1 | Sennheiser HD25 Mk2

Quote Originally Posted by r08zy View Post
    Yeah second vote for studio monitors, you'll get a much cleaner sound from a pair of well placed monitors rather than PA speakers.

As someone who owned and mixed at home on PA speakers for years I often found the volume creeping higher and higher while I was mixing.... to a point where they were rattling the fixtures and fittings in my neighbours houses.

If you like you neighbours and want to keep it that way, go for monitors.

I don't like my neighbors and they don't like me. lol

another vote here for studio monitors. they double up if you ever want to start production. I use a pair of jbl305s, and a lot of people love their krk's

Tech Guru

Still shouldn't go for PAs because they can always call the cops file noise complaints and you'll never be able to practice.
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

Studio monitors because of the before mentioned facts but also because I assume you're absolutely new to this, and might as well wait until you know you really like it before you get big honkin' PAs

if you want to save money get some dayton bookshelf speakers and a hi fi reciever...
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Does the Alto tx 8 sound the same as the rokit 8 as far as bass and treble?

Quote Originally Posted by keithace View Post
    if you want to save money get some dayton bookshelf speakers and a hi fi reciever...
    Yeah good call, my first speakers was a set of Trust 5.1 surround speakers that I picked up cheap. I had the fronts, rears and centre speaker on the table in front of me and the sub on the floor. Really any kind of speakers will do the job.
    MBP 13 2012 | 2x NI Kontrol X1 Mk2 | NI Kontrol F1 | NI Audio 2 | Behringer CMD MM-1 | Sennheiser HD25 Mk2

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast