Can you please JUDGE me?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can you please JUDGE me?

What's up fellow DJs! First off, I'm very glad to join DJTT and the forums here.
    My name is Ed and I've been DJing for about 6 years. I just recently left the mobile DJ company I was working for for the last 5 years and started back on "social media" in as many years.

My question is: how did you (or do you) get people to listen to your work and "follow" you? I don't have a lot of friends or acquaintances that are on social media, and I have been sharing my work with family/friends....but I don't want to come off as a douche that only cares about listener counts, so I haven't been bombarding FB or anything.

I know I'm not that good and I still have much to learn and will continue to as long as I DJ. Can you guys please give me some advice?

Thank you in advance! If you want to check out my mixes before you reply to me here's my link: www.mixcloud.com/insynapse36

Thanks again and cheers! Looking forward to being a member on here!

Hello Insynapse welcome on Board,

Well (first of all I didn't listen to your work on mixcloud) waht do you wanna reach with lots of Likes and Followers on social medias???

There is no evidence of the fact, that having lots of followers and Likes either makes you a better Dj nore really helps pushing a DJ-carreer.
    Like when you start an EVent on FB, you may have 200 People clicking "Will Attend" and at the end playing i front of 20.
    The Facebook Generation doesn't have any reliability (I hope it is the right word) anymore, they say "yes" but mean "maybe" and act "No".

Then Comes the Point that it isn't a secret that you can buy Likes on social medias so an unknown DJ having thousands of Followers would be suspicious to me.

Every serious Promoter/Booker doesn't book you neither due an amount of Likes/Followers nore due to a Mixtape but saw you himself at work or tested you in a "Test-Session".

And non-serious ones, believe me you don't wanna work with them and handle the sh!t they are able to do.

So why are you looking for Likes/Followers?

Kwal, one of the forum legends here wrote a great article about this exact thing here mate:
    http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthread.php?t=86855
    SC | MC

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky H View Post
    Kwal, one of the forum legends here wrote a great article about this exact thing here mate:
    http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthread.php?t=86855
    "legend"

You are a legend and you know it
    SC | MC

Default Thanks!

Thank you Stephen Nawlins! You make a great point.
    The reason I was looking for "likes" or "followers" was definitely just for the legitimacy aspect, however like you said, in this day in age people can essentially buy likes. I apologize; if it sounds like I'm a total noob to how social media works and playing gigs, its because I am. I established contacts in the wedding industry, but definitely not the club scene. I was under the assumption that social media presence made my look more "established", and it sounds like Inhave the wrong idea.

Thank you to Nicky and Kwal for the link and article! I'll be checking it out now.

Serious, y'all have been a big help already! Glad to be here and to learn the ins and outs of our craft. Take care everyone.

Who's Kwal?

Tech Mentor

there is a group of overly excited & Iphone wielding girls in their early twenties at this star bucks i just walked out of. let me ask them if they have a moment to judge you.
    Technics 1210 / Pioneer plx 1000 / Xone 42 / Adam a3x / UA apollo twin / Maschine mikro / Ableton live 9 / Maschine 2 / MBP Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015

Kwal's post pretty much covers what you are looking for. Its something you have to keep chipping away at and you need to keep it up constantly. If you put yourself out there in the right places people will find you, if you mix quality sets people will find you. There is no quick fix, its a game that cant be beaten - there is no top of the mountain the view just gets better

Quote Originally Posted by Chael View Post
    There is no quick fix, its a game that cant be beaten
    It takes 10 years to become an overnight success
    MBP 13 2012 | 2x NI Kontrol X1 Mk2 | NI Kontrol F1 | NI Audio 2 | Behringer CMD MM-1 | Sennheiser HD25 Mk2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast