Can you please JUDGE me? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

sorry i didnt have time to listen to your file yet. my advice to newcomers is this:

1. we do not talk about fight club...o wait sorry wrong group...

2. do it because its something fun to do, not to be cool or get followers or even an audience.be prepared to play to yourself, and always be prepared for the audience to be unhappy with your music.

3. to get followers on social media, go follow people. for about every 5 people i follow or comment or like or share a track, i get a follower or a comment myself...treat people how you yourself want to be treated as an artist. the more reverence you bestow on others, the more you get back and this ESPECIALLY applies on social media. everyone that posts a file or a flyer , is hoping to get a reaction, so give it to them.

4. and this may be the biggest one , GO SEE PEOPLE PLAY. even if it isnt your favorite music. Even if its a death metal band or bluegrass, there are people in those scenes that still like DJs. you have to network IRL, and this of course spills over to social media too.

5.practice (yo cuts)
    Traktor/Ableton /Komplete /MBP OSX el capitan

http://www.soundcloud.com/deejaesnafu

Quote Originally Posted by Deejaesnafu View Post
    sorry i didnt have time to listen to your file yet. my advice to newcomers is this:

1. we do not talk about fight club...o wait sorry wrong group...

2. do it because its something fun to do, not to be cool or get followers or even an audience.be prepared to play to yourself, and always be prepared for the audience to be unhappy with your music.

3. to get followers on social media, go follow people. for about every 5 people i follow or comment or like or share a track, i get a follower or a comment myself...treat people how you yourself want to be treated as an artist. the more reverence you bestow on others, the more you get back and this ESPECIALLY applies on social media. everyone that posts a file or a flyer , is hoping to get a reaction, so give it to them.

4. and this may be the biggest one , GO SEE PEOPLE PLAY. even if it isnt your favorite music. Even if its a death metal band or bluegrass, there are people in those scenes that still like DJs. you have to network IRL, and this of course spills over to social media too.

5.practice (yo cuts)
    That's a well written response and I completely agree.

For personally it was the social media aspect that kind of killed DJing for me, without wanting to sound like an older timer "back in my day" etc The best part was hanging around the local record shop or club nights handing and chatting to people and handing out demos flyers.

I was much more in my comfort zone in that setting than I am with twitter and facebook. I still love the art of mixing music and I do release the fruits of my labour on mixcloud but I'm really not fussed if only a few people find and listen to my stuff. I'll leave the brand and identity building to the new kids while I hide myself away releasing stuff for a select group of friends to find.
    MBP 13 2012 | 2x NI Kontrol X1 Mk2 | NI Kontrol F1 | NI Audio 2 | Behringer CMD MM-1 | Sennheiser HD25 Mk2

All of you have been a big help already. Sincere Thanks. You're all right; like I said I have a lot to learn with this whole social media game, and a lot to learn with DJing and promoting in general. My love for the craft definitely won't ever die. 30 years old and trying being a newcomer in this game, smh. Am I crazy? Must be. 🙃

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky H View Post
    Kwal, one of the forum legends here wrote a great article about this exact thing here mate:
    http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthread.php?t=86855
    whats a kwal??

Quote Originally Posted by calgarc View Post
    whats a kwal??
    some kind of leaf eating pygmy bear from the outback, i reckon...
    Traktor/Ableton /Komplete /MBP OSX el capitan

http://www.soundcloud.com/deejaesnafu

Quote Originally Posted by Deejaesnafu View Post
    some kind of leaf eating pygmy bear from the outback, i reckon...
    Oh, yes, exactly my humour +1000

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12