CDJ knockoffs for practice
    Tech Student

Default CDJ knockoffs for practice

I'm starting to get opportunities to play live. A lot of venues have a no laptop policy. Are any of the cheaper (Numark, Behringer) CDJ knockoffs close enough to the real thing for me to learn on? I have a lot invested and the price of good CDJs when I really enjoy using software seems out of this world to me. A pair of any Pioneers will be a minimum $800.00 and I may not use them that often.

Just use a controller with jog wheels and turn sync off.

Watch some YouTube videos on setting up the CDJ 2000. USB button. Link button. Quantize mode. Vinyl mode. Master tempo. Tempo range. Quantize. Etc.

Also download the Rekordbox software and watch some YouTube videos on preparing your tracks and exporting them to USB thumb drives.

If exported Correctly, The CDJs will use quantize and make it a lot easier to beatmatch and loop.
    Last edited by loverocket; 06-08-2016 at 01:37 PM.

Tech Wizard

Gemini mdj1000 or reloop rmp-4, Bo h fairly cheap and will give you the cdjs feel. The reloops dont have the fancy screen thou and the Geminis still have a quality question about them

Just get a low end pioneer controller and use it with rekordboxdj. That way you have the same software solution for both at home and when you export to usb.

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-PIO-DDJRB-LIST
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Quote Originally Posted by the_bastet View Post
    Just get a low end pioneer controller and use it with rekordboxdj. That way you have the same software solution for both at home and when you export to usb.

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-PIO-DDJRB-LIST
    Yeah that's a good call.

The actual mixing part will be very similar, using the jog wheel and pitch control will be similar enough to other players and even turntables to not feel alien. However, the menus, selecting your usb stick, using link and picking tracks is a process unique to CDJs (even the pioneer controllers won't show you that).

It would be worth reading up and watching videos on how to use CDJs and have someone who knows them well standing close by for the first couple of times you use them.
    MBP 13 2012 | 2x NI Kontrol X1 Mk2 | NI Kontrol F1 | NI Audio 2 | Behringer CMD MM-1 | Sennheiser HD25 Mk2