What to expect when signing a track?

Default What to expect when signing a track?

I have recently been contacted in regards to a label interested in releasing a track I have produced and to be honest I'm not that clued up on the whole process. What is the normal procedure after formal contact has been made? I have done some internet searches and there is a wealth of conflicting information available and the confusing legal jargon leaves me a little confused. Do any of you guys have any experience in how to deal with labels in regards to what to expect from them and what they expect from you?
    From what I understand I would be licensing a track/tracks to the label for a pre-determined amount of time so they can release it, after the license time has expired the rights revert back to myself and I can then license the track back out to other labels - is this the correct way of thinking? I would imagine a contract will be involved and I wouldn't hand over the track/tracks until the proverbial ink has dried? Thanks in advance for any input

Firstly, congratulations.

Secondly, get a lawyer. Contracts and whanot is as alien to me as it is to you, and you don't want to end up being anally intruded via the small print.
    Live rig: Denon Prime (5000M's)
    Retired: Denon x1700, Denon SC3900's, Traktor, Technics SL1200's, my vinyl
    Wish list: Some Roland Aira stuff.

Every contract is different, most have terms quite long, or ask you sign over rights indefinitely to the track unless the label folds. But really, if you're not comfortable reading the contract before you sign you can either get a lawyer or take a big risk.

With label contracts you just have to be sure to read it over and make sure they aren't also requesting something you aren't comfortable with.

If you want to sign a tune, you have to sign it over to them and it's usually 1-2 years based on my own signings... That's not an issue honestly. If it is, then don't sign it. Simple.

Be on the lookout for performance rights... Do NOT sign it if they include this because from there on out you'd legally only be able to play shows if you paid them the % they noted. It's not common, but it's an existing scam amongst smaller labels that try to lure you in.

Make sure you get royalties. Don't go under 25% in that category either.

If you want me to look it over then PM it to me and I can let you know what I think. Another piece of advice I like to give out is don't just sign a track to some unknown label because you want to be able to tell your friends that you're signed... If they have little to no following, you end up getting no exposure, you lose rights to a track and get quarterly payments of 50 cents and ultimately regret it later on. Think it through.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Kwal View Post
    Another piece of advice I like to give out is don't just sign a track to some unknown label because you want to be able to tell your friends that you're signed... If they have little to no following, you end up getting no exposure, you lose rights to a track and get quarterly payments of 50 cents and ultimately regret it later on. Think it through.
    This.
    Producer & Dj from Buenos Aires, Argentina.
    Soft seared beats and smoked gritty basslines marinated with pads, served over home grown melodies and a pinch of salt.
    https://soundcloud.com/similian
    Subscribe to Similian Sound Tools mailing list and receive exclusive content!

Thanks for the info guys, Im still throwing emails back and forth to hammer out the finer details so we will see what happens. Im not going to jump head first into this I want to make sure both parties have each others interests in heart, lets see what happens

Some good advice in here so far.

Few things I'd suggest considering:

- how much credibility does the label have?
    - what kind of following do they have?
    - is the sound of the label in line with your own?
    - what will they be doing to promote and market your brand?

As royalties are pretty much non existent these days, I'd suggest looking around to find a label that you can build an on going partnership with - very important.

All the best,

Kieran @ Tekonnekt