Pioneer DDJ-SB2 & Traktor 2 (NEED HELP!)

Default Pioneer DDJ-SB2 & Traktor 2 (NEED HELP!)

HI friends, well, first of all, excuse my english, is not my first language...
    second of all congratulate u for the grate help djtechtools is providing, answers in the forum, articles, and video tutorials...

i Have some Questions about "Pad Trans" Feature....
    this is what i found out so far:

Is possible to use the "PAD TRANS" (volume cutting Fx)... in "Traktor 2"...but only if before opening "Traktor 2" u where running "Serato Intro" and in "Serato Intro" u where using at least 1 of the 4 pads of the "Pad Tans Fx" in every of the 4 decks, (only in A & B if u like to play with 2 decks)..., then close "Serato Intro", DO NOT UNPLUG the "SB2" from the computer, and open "Traktor 2"..... the "Pad trans fx" pads will be working, but it will be working at the tempo of the track u used in "Serato Intro" when u pressed any of the pads of the "Pad Trans Fx"...
    U can change the tempo of the effect inside "Traktor 2" by using the TAP feature of the "SB2"... (and for this u do not even need to map the TAP feature or any of the 4 pads of the "Pad Trans" in "Traktor 2" (in any deck), u only need to have mapped the channel volume of each deck to see the pad trans fx in action... it seems that the pad trans pads, the channel volume fader and the TAP key are natively related inside the "SB2")

U WILL ENCOUNTER A PROBLEM:
    When u plug the "SB2" to the computer, before opening "Serato Intro", u have access to the secondary layers of the "SB2", the layers:
    "HOTCUE 5-8", "ROLL", "CUE LOOP" & "BANK",
    but when u open "Serato Intro" then this layers are not accessible any more, not even closing "Serato Intro", actually u need to unplug the "SB2" from the computer and then plug it again in order to make all this layers work in "Traktor 2"

To be able to have access to this secondary layers of the "SB2" after using "Serato Intro", (So then u can use the "Pad Trans Fx inside "Traktor 2"), u will need to have active in "Traktor 2", in "Controller Manager" the profile u will find in here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3my...

Still with this Fix active every time u open "Traktor 2",with frees controller state (only if u did not opened "Serato Intro" firs, then close it and then open "Traktor 2"), u will have to press shift and 1 of the four layers in the "SB2" before starting playing any track..., or shift+HOT CUE..., or shift+AUTO LOOP..., or shift+MANUAL LOOP...or, shift+SAMPLER... (in any of the Decks), if u wait to do it when a track is playing u may experience a second of silence, because the first time doing so the "SB2" will make all led flashing like when recognizing software, what will activate in the SB2 the led show in a deck every time u load a track in to this specific Deck)...

NOTE (About this FIX):
    If u are gonna try this trick with "Serato JD" instead with just "Serato Intro", u may do not need the FIX midi profile, because i have heard that if u have a payed version of Serato, the secondary layers of the "SB2" do not disappear.

QUESTIONS:

*Mapping leds:

I was not able to make any button in the SB2 blink... they have "on state", "off state"..... does any 1 know for a fact if the buttons have also "Blinking state"?...or maybe they are able to blink in "serato intro" because "serato" is generating this pulse (on/off)???

*PAD TRANS: (This is the main reason of my post)

is clear that "PAD TRANS", Chanel volume, the "TAP" feature are related inside the SB2 in a native way....

Does any 1 know how this controls are related inside the SB2?, and how to apply what we know to map "PAD TRANS" in to "Trakto2"

How, or in what way is "Serato intro" programing the SB2 so after using "PAD TRANS" in there u can close the application, open "Traktor 2" and see "PAD TRANS" working properly in "Traktor 2"?

Can we program some how the behavior of the "PAD TRANS" (or any other control) in the SB2 sending some Sysex... or something, ... like with some application like Midi-Ox or something?

well brothers... so many questions... thanks in advance!!!!!!
    Last edited by earblock; 06-17-2016 at 11:22 AM. Reason: less like a scrap book, more like a post

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Trans effect is basically what the Gater effect stands for in Traktor. But to fully replicate that sound you should combine Gater and Transpose Stretch which gives that transformation effect to the sound.

Try experimenting with two FX Units. Put Gater in FX Unit 1 (group mode) and Transpose in the FX Unit 2 (group mode)
    First FX Unit should have 90% to 100% Dry/Wet signal and for FX Unit 2 Put it at maybe 30% to 40% at first testing (you might want to increase the value later on when you find perfect parameter values, just start with lower ones)
    Or, you can combine FX1 and FX 2 in FX Unit 1 if you find that Greater Dry/Wet Value works better for both of this effects.

This looks like interesting feature that can be made to sound even better in Traktor.
    Are you introduced to Traktor mapping area?

hey man, hi , sorry it took me some time to come back to the forum, but i wanted to show u in a video what is going on with SB2īs Pad Trans Fx"....

thx for your answer...

is a good idea to experiment with the fx and "stuff" regarding midi mapping . Maybe i use 1 of the 2 layers of the SAMPLER, since i do not really wanna be finger drumming

But man, check this out, the 4 pads of each deck when "Pad Trans" is ON, have the same midi value, so if u map 4 different things on each pad, when ever u press 1 of the 4 pads the 4 different features u mapped will get trigger...
    Please, watch the video and share your thoughts back ... the main question is how could we from Traktor trigger the Pad Trans to work without having to open serato first......
    or if this last request is not possible... any idea on how could be the "Pad Trans" useful in Traktor knowing that they send exactly the same midi signal?.... , ok, here the clip u may have to stop a couple of times to have time to read the subs, very lazy job and out of focus xxd (sorry about that)...

thx in advance brother.

pd: by the way, i do not really know what u mean with
    "Are you introduced to Traktor mapping area? "
    if u can post some link... cheers.

pd2: By the way, from tech student to newbie...
    this is good?
    is bad?
    shall i be happy?
    shall i be sad?
    i am not very familiar with forums u see...
    Last edited by earblock; 06-17-2016 at 12:30 PM. Reason: aditional question

Quote Originally Posted by earblock View Post
    hey man, hi , sorry it took me some time to come back to the forum, but i wanted to show u in a video what is going on with SB2īs Pad Trans Fx"....

thx for your answer...

is a good idea to experiment with the fx and "stuff" regarding midi mapping . Maybe i use 1 of the 2 layers of the SAMPLER, since i do not really wanna be finger drumming

But man, check this out, the 4 pads of each deck when "Pad Trans" is ON, have the same midi value, so if u map 4 different things on each pad, when ever u press 1 of the 4 pads the 4 different features u mapped will get trigger...
    Please, watch the video and share your thoughts back ... the main question is how could we from Traktor trigger the Pad Trans to work without having to open serato first......
    or if this last request is not possible... any idea on how could be the "Pad Trans" useful in Traktor knowing that they send exactly the same midi signal?.... , ok, here the clip u may have to stop a couple of times to have time to read the subs, very lazy job and out of focus xxd (sorry about that)...

thx in advance brother.
    Thanks for taking time to do a vid. It's strange you're having that issue that no one seem to have had reported before in the forums - do you have latest version of the firmware installed?

pd: by the way, i do not really know what u mean with
    "Are you introduced to Traktor mapping area? "
    if u can post some link... cheers.
    What I meant is, are you new to Traktor mapping or do you already have some experience with it?

pd2: By the way, from tech student to newbie...
    this is good?
    is bad?
    shall i be happy?
    shall i be sad?
    i am not very familiar with forums u see...
    No worries about it Your "newbie" title will get replaced by "tech student" once you made your first 6 posts in the Forum. ( those 6 posts need to be approved by Forum Moderators - after that, you can post freely)

I do have the proper software firmware installed (up to date)....

I do not think that i am having an issue with the SB2 as i think that is just the way it works...
    i do not think that any 1 reported the issue because is kind of an adventure to jump in to traktor mapping... way bigger than playing skyrim...
    What i saw in every case was people talking that in any of the SB2 midi mappings for traktor the "Pad Trans" was working...
    I posted in the pioneer forums and they answer me with this picture, where u can see that the SB2 they used to test the pad trans buttons are giving the same midi values in the 4 pads:

sb2 pic from support.jpg

see, this numbers, 19 & 51 are the same values the Ch volume is giving... any ways, pioneer forums (maybe only the section for the sb2, i do not know better), they will not offer any support if is not for serato, they ignore your questions to just push the use of Serato, what by the way pissed me off, because i got me the controller because it was labeled as "Midi Compatible". (not even mentioning that they had to send me the "SB2" 3 times because the first 2 times it suffered from defective led behavior), sooo in front of such a terrible "Support", i did not felt like to "con Troll" my self... but well this is a different story

Anyways i downloaded like 8 SB2 mappings here and there... and after checking carefully on them i realized, (or at least had the paranoia), that most of those mappings where just slightly modifications form a map from a dude who made it for the SB(1), what would explain why all the mappings lack the decks C & B working properly... (when u are mapping, the most complex part is to map the first 2 decks, the other 2 decks u only have to duplicate what u just did and it takes like a minute to do so. (other fact empowering my paranoia is that most of this mappings comes with the channel gain mapped to a "shift+ Fx knob", absurd when SB2 have its own Gain knobs labeled as "Trim", knobs that by the lacks the original SB(1))...(so is kind of shady all this story)...
    Any of the maps did satisfied me, so i had to start from scratch my own mapping.

About my mapping experience.... Well, like in 2011 i had to play in a couple of birthday parties in the forest and since i sold my analogical gear (pioneer cdj100) few years earlier to go to India, i had to map a version of traktor to a M Audio Oxigen8 and the Fx to a 2 game pads of play station 2, (using this application to map the game pads)... was an old version of traktor, i can not remember right now, i think was traktor 3 or something... How ever was way easier than map the SB2.
    Now everything works properly in my SB2, even the manual loop works almost like in serato, (only left part is the SAMPLER layers", because instead i think i am gonna map the loop recorder and or some "1 touch Grat. Fx.", still thinking about it...

about the titles... i was just kidding, i could not care less about human labels...
    (I think because of the Psilocybin and the DMT i did years ago xxd)
    Is something psychological the people do without awareness (back brain processes), to label their brothers/sisters under them to fell better about them selves, of course i do not say "that" referring to a this specific case as i mean it in general... but i am afraid that this would be a extremely off topic discussion.

Thx a lot for your attention brother....

So all four of the Trans pads are assigned with a same MIDI messages - that's a bummer when it comes to mapping them to other apps than Serato... I have had a same issue with some older Gemini units that were meant to work with VDJ.
    It's a firmware thing and really nothing we could do about it.

As for the same values 51 and 91 they should not have any conflicts with the volume faders as long as they are transmiting on a separate MIDI channels.

It's not strange that Pioneer Staff would not give the full support to people who are using other programs than Serato or Rekordbox. It is out of their responsibilities.

My advice to you is go ahead and sell that controller if you wish to keep spinning with Traktor and maybe get yourself the DDJ-SR which is the best two channel controller in my opinion. the DDJ-R line of controllers seems to be slightly cheaper in build quality (judging to some youtube reviews)

Wish you luck dude!