Beginner questions regarding overall music production..
    Tech Convert

Default Beginner questions regarding overall music production..

How's everyone doing, I don't post on forums much anymore, but I was active over at DJF previously. I am currently transitioning from DJ to music production and have a few questions. First off, I am using Ableton Live Intro which doesn't have as much effects and things as Ableton Live. Even with the Intro version, is it possible to make good mashups/edits/remixes and even be able to get some tracks together? I feel like I should learn the ins/outs of the Intro version before I move on. I am currently watching tons of videos and even signed up for a production course which I'm always watching. A lot of guys are using plugins in their videos. Is it appropriate to use plugins even as a novice? I can understand how they work but still not completely.
    Also, if anyone has any useful resources where I can learn more about music production (specifically in Ableton) I'd appreciate that.

Stick with Intro. It is absolutely perfect for learning the basics of Live. As for mash-ups/edits/full tracks - yes - Intro is perfect for that, too.

Use Intro to get the basics down. Then, if you think Live is for you (it is) you'll be able to hit the ground running with Suite or Standard.

Honestly - Ableton Live is ALL YOU NEED to make great sounding tracks. All of the native/built in effects are of a high enough standard to hold up against any 3rd party plug in.

If you've got money to throw away, you can get great 3rd party stuff - but honestly, Lives own are pretty bloody good.

As for useful resources - I had a great book called "Ableton Live 2 Power!" As luck would have it, I just stumbled upon a .pdf version of the latest version, cleverly named "Ableton Live 9 Power!":

http://soulcoal.com/school/books/01-...ve_9_Power.pdf

Buy a hard copy, read it from cover to cover at least twice, then take a highlighter and some page pointers and go to town on it!!!
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Yeah well the only real issue with Intro is it limits you to only 10 tracks... That'll be your downfall when it comes to really going all out on making a new tune. Stick to the native effects as well.. Learn what they actually do and how they work before you go all out on 3rd party nonsense. I can see you working on mash ups and such with Intro but when it comes down to really making a full track you'll hit the wall really fast.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Kwal View Post
    Yeah well the only real issue with Intro is it limits you to only 10 tracks... That'll be your downfall when it comes to really going all out on making a new tune. Stick to the native effects as well.. Learn what they actually do and how they work before you go all out on 3rd party nonsense. I can see you working on mash ups and such with Intro but when it comes down to really making a full track you'll hit the wall really fast.
    Thanks alot for the feedback! I figured the same thing but I'm going to try and see what I can make using 10 tracks.. There's already alot of native effects I figured but alot of these guys on Youtube barely use them and I don't understand why. I guess people have preference but it makes beginners think they have to have 3rd party plugins.

@Patch thanks so much for that PDF I saw that book @ B&N for around $25! I'll be reading this cover to cover and going to see what I come up with in Intro.

Eh again I wouldn't stem out to 3rd party VSTs just yet.. I did the same thing at first.. Saw what the "pros" used.. Thought I wouldn't get results like theirs unless I had it... While it isn't totally false, it's not really true either. I personally did go balls out on 3rd party plugins from the start, and I ended up trimming down to using maybe like 5-10 religiously and then resorting to Live's natives for the rest. The problem with chasing new plugins is that you get lost in them... You start to sway your focus and concern on them rather than tackling the original task of mastering Ableton.

If you feel like you vibe with Ableton when using intro, and you start to hit that brickwall of limitation when making tracks, then just make the leap and buy Standard/Suite.

Start getting familiar with the workings of Ableton first. When you're ready to go beyond 10 channels (which you will eventually need to) then go for Standard. I purchased Suite, thinking I'd use all the extra frills that came with it. I pretty much use a bunch of 3rd party plugins for my stuff. Nexus, Serum, Omnisphere, Spire, Sylenth. But it really depends on the style of music you're trying to make.

Defo Standard is fine!

If you use a lot of samples etc then there's lots you can do. I did find the synth side of things limiting with Standard tho as you don't get Operator.

I think limiting yourself with 3rd party plugs in sensible but I personally love having komplete 10, korg M1 (legacy) and sylenth... But it defo depends on your style.

The stock effects are defo decent in ableton tho
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

I actually bought Korg M1 legacy on Max One's recommendation and will second it as a good starting point. There are some lovely sounds on that and it's cheap as chips.. and quite customisable.

Just to add I also use fab filter Saturn, and pro q and would highly recommend those as well. Live's natives are good though and you don't desperately need them.. I got a deal on them both so I bit.