i built a DIY LED wall.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default i built a DIY LED wall.

sup guys.

i've kinda taken a step away from music lately, just due to being uninspired and looking for new adventures. So i picked up a Raspberry Pi 3 and started tinkering with it. For anyone un-familiar, its a mini computer that can run basic programs like word documents, .CSV applications, and browse the internet. which is pretty amazing because they only cost 35 dollars and have loads of community to support it. there are also tons projects ideas on the web and loads of 3rd party add-ons that can help unleash your imagination.

I came across a tutorial on a popular maker website, adafruit, on how to make your own DIY LED wall. I gave it a go and wanted to share with you what i have so far:

IMG_0008.jpg

Im using a python script, supported by adafruit and Henner Zeller, to play a mirror of what ever is on the GPU of the RPI, which can be a really cool if you use some free linux based VJ software such as the super pikix pi :

IMG_3092.jpg

Its been a fun project, and i'm working on getting the next panel chained up correctly so i can have a matrix that will scale more accurately. I'll update when i finish building the frame and adding a more permanent PSU and complete the frame.

Parts used:
    RPI 3
    Adafruit RGB hat
    64 x 32 6p LED panel (3x)
    5v 10a PSU from amazon
    Last edited by Killing time; 06-19-2016 at 04:17 PM.
    Technics 1210 / Pioneer plx 1000 / Xone 42 / Adam a3x / UA apollo twin / Maschine mikro / Ableton live 9 / Maschine 2 / MBP Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015

wicked. where u get the led panel from?
    Carl Cox - "Big, big sounds & fresh talent. I can guarantee you would of danced to an Underlord track before the end of summer”
    Supported by Carl Cox, Laurent Garnier, Claude von Stroke, Eats Everything
    Mixmag Hot 6
    http://www.underlord.uk

Quote Originally Posted by what44 View Post
    wicked. where u get the led panel from?

https://www.adafruit.com/product/2279
    I just want to play music and entertain people. The hardest part is getting people to listen.
    Got any Rihanna?

Mixcloud: House-Techno-Tech House-Rocktronica-Tropical-Pop

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by djpieman View Post
    same retailor, but i used a larger pitch LED (6mm)

UPDATE://
    i went and ordered some more (because LED walls are fucking cool), and settled on this configuration: IMG_7232.jpg

if anyone wants to see the back side:

IMG_0021.jpg

raspberry pi is in the top left hand corner, mounted on an acrylic case and powered by the 5v from the RPi's GPIO. That's paired with the adafruit RGB hat, which converts the GPIO into 16 pin output which is needed to chain my matrix.

power amp is the silver box mounted on the bottom. its a 5v 40A converter that i purchased off aliexpress.

and the frame is constructed using OpenBeam. its not a complete frame yet, as the top isn't completely secured yet
    Last edited by Killing time; 06-23-2016 at 05:49 PM.
    Technics 1210 / Pioneer plx 1000 / Xone 42 / Adam a3x / UA apollo twin / Maschine mikro / Ableton live 9 / Maschine 2 / MBP Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015

Tech Convert

damn man that looks dope

Default Cool!

That board looks dope!Since this is a doers thread I thought I'd throw this google form up here. Would love to see your feedback, some friends and I are building a new lightshow!

https://goo.gl/forms/HmHN2FBC1t90cxmU2

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Cool stuff man!

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by IrishDave View Post
    That board looks dope!Since this is a doers thread I thought I'd throw this google form up here. Would love to see your feedback, some friends and I are building a new lightshow!

https://goo.gl/forms/HmHN2FBC1t90cxmU2
    whoa, cool idea. i've always thought that an exciting next step would to get the crowd to participate in the show, and using their mobil devices is one way to do it.

Amazing, man! Good job

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast