Practicing on the Road - at Work, Etc - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tech Wizard

Thanks for all you advice and comments. I went ahead and ordered the Akai AMX. Yes, there are issues with the choice:

-- no mic input
    -- wonky beat matching interface
    -- glued to Serato
    -- a different hardware interface, from my previous controller (Denon MC6000) and now Pioneer DDJSX2.

BUT,
    -- it will allow me to actually have a practice session on a real controller,
    -- i can use it conveniently in tight spaces or smaller parties, and
    -- use it as backup controller for large gigs.
    -- it comes with full serator package, thus some savings there..

Since I am a newbie, still trying to learn beatmatching, I wish the AMX had a simpler way of doing this, but alas ... I will keep looking for ways to beatmatch efficiently on it.

best - Oy

Quote Originally Posted by Oyiwaa View Post
    Hello,

I often work second shifts and sometimes overnights, and I do end up having sometime on my hand.

I want to spend some of this time usefully practicing my mixing/djing skills, instead of watching TV/movies.

I am unable to haul my $1,000 + controller with me to work, but I do take my laptop with me.

What do I need to accomplish my goals?

I am thinking of getting a small controller (Serato compatible) such as Pioneer DDJ-SB2 Serato DJ Intro Controller.

Is it advisable to go this route? Can I mix on the computer using the software without the controller? Do I need to get a speaker or headphones are ok?

thanks and looking forward to your input...

rgds, PS

I like my AMX. It's nice and easy to take around for small events or even just practicing out some new genres at home. My only real advice is if you plan on gigging with it (even as a backup): it's quiet as hell, so route it into another mixer so you can give it more volume. Of course, gain stage properly so you're not redlining on the mixer (or Serato for that matter).

Also on the talk of gain staging, the gains on the AMX are limitless encoders and don't dictate the gain within Serato iirc. That's super annoying because there's no visual reference for where the gain is along the spectrum. I usually double up one song, turn both gains down, turn channel A to where I want it, then match channel B using VU meters and my ear.

besides those two things, it's a nice fun compact controller

Tech Guru

i have a Wego for travelling, its tiny, but surprisingly fun to scratch on...and works v well with serato
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12