Brexit? - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Brexit?

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Daniboy View Post
    Is there a simple reason for that?
    Most of the people who voted leave came from working back grounds that were in manufacturing and farming. The EU effectively eliminated their jobs because eastern european nations with lower wages and ample factory capacity took over previous UK production.

most of the people who voted stay work in high skill markets: finance, technology, law, medical research. they need the EU to access international markets.

Taking this in account, its fairly easy to understand why people voted the way they did. not saying that either side is more right or wrong, but it you have to understand the positive and negative effects of trade.

When you forget about the people that have lost the most, you tend to have the similar outcomes of Brexit and other populist movements like Bernie Sanders and Donald Trump.
    Technics 1210 / Pioneer plx 1000 / Xone 42 / Adam a3x / UA apollo twin / Maschine mikro / Ableton live 9 / Maschine 2 / MBP Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Killing time View Post
    Most of the people who voted leave came from working back grounds that were in manufacturing and farming. The EU effectively eliminated their jobs because eastern european nations with lower wages and ample factory capacity took over previous UK production.

most of the people who voted stay work in high skill markets: finance, technology, law, medical research. they need the EU to access international markets.

Taking this in account, its fairly easy to understand why people voted the way they did. not saying that either side is more right or wrong, but it you have to understand the positive and negative effects of trade.

When you forget about the people that have lost the most, you tend to have the similar outcomes of Brexit and other populist movements like Bernie Sanders and Donald Trump.
    Good piece of info, thanks!
    13" Macbook Air i7, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD | Traktor 2.7.1 | Ableton Live 9 | DJM-900 Nexus | NI Audio 10 | A&H Xone:K2 | Oyaide USB & RCA | HDJ-2000 | Odyssey BRLDIGITAL Bag

Quote Originally Posted by Jumanji View Post
    Are you old or young?
    Most young people voted to stay in the EU.
    Most old people voted to leave the EU.
    I heard this as well. But I think the info is somewhat skewed, because according to german news, the actual "participation rate" (sorry, lack of vocabulary here) among the young people was lower. (Source)

Are you old or young?
    Most young people voted to stay in the EU.
    Most old people voted to leave the EU.
    I'm 27, so I fit firmly in the "young" segment thank you very much I also have a degree and work in marketing for a company that operates throughout western Europe, and I'm a liberal, so I'm pretty much the archetypal remain voter.

That's a bit of an over simplification but I know what you mean. Unemployment is as low as it's ever been in the UK so wasn't really a deciding factor, though there were some concerns raised about wage depreciation in the lowest paid jobs.

I think one major factor that made the difference was that a lot of people have suffered significantly from the austerity measures over the past few years, and since the Prime Minister was leading the campaign to remain, many saw a leave vote as a protest against him.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    That's a bit of an over simplification but I know what you mean. Unemployment is as low as it's ever been in the UK so wasn't really a deciding factor, though there were some concerns raised about wage depreciation in the lowest paid jobs.

I think one major factor that made the difference was that a lot of people have suffered significantly from the austerity measures over the past few years, and since the Prime Minister was leading the campaign to remain, many saw a leave vote as a protest against him.
    yeah, its a little more complex than that. but this also is coming from a person in California that just looks at the markets and aggregate measurements of various places. Often times, like you've mentioned, people do irrational things due to emotional responses.

if im not mistaken, the EU heavily funded the public assistance programs in N.I. and Scotland? designed to help the people that lost the most due to trade. You would have thought it would be in their best interest to not bite the hand that feeds them. Its amazing what you can get a group of people to do when you create a fictional villian for them to rally behind.

In the states its "the 1%" if you support Bernie Sanders, "illegal alien rapists" if you support Donald Trump, and apparently it's the EU and Islam in the UK.

nothing gets people more excited than an excuse to bring out the pitch forks.
    Technics 1210 / Pioneer plx 1000 / Xone 42 / Adam a3x / UA apollo twin / Maschine mikro / Ableton live 9 / Maschine 2 / MBP Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015

if im not mistaken, the EU heavily funded the public assistance programs in N.I. and Scotland? designed to help the people that lost the most due to trade. You would have thought it would be in their best interest to not bite the hand that feeds them. Its amazing what you can get a group of people to do when you create a fictional villian for them to rally behind.
    They both not only voted to stay in the EU. But are now also talking about leaving the UK to stay in the EU.

Tech Mentor

They both not only voted to stay in the EU. But are now also talking about leaving the UK to stay in the EU.
    I was talking to a friend, who is a very astute individual and trader, and he made some really good points about the referendum. He made a point that no politician is dumb enough to enact article 50 because its career suicide. and even if the referendum does pass and NI and Scotland also wants to gain autonomy, its in the best interest of Spain, France, and nearly every other country to block membership because it sets up a precedent for other problematic regions, within these main countries, to succeed from their former countries and re-enter as new members to the EU.

If youre familiar with game theory, then you can break up these choices into their respective punnett squares and assume that there is way too much resistance for any of these things to logically actually happen. Quite interesting.

nothing gets people more excited than an excuse to bring out the pitch forks.
    ^ This.

I happen to live in the general area of the place in the UK that voted by the highest margin to leave (75%+). The reason is because of casual xenophobia but also heavily due to inundation of the town by foreign nationals. And by inundation, I mean it in the literal sense of the word. Even other migrants (Indian, Pakistani, Jamaican) in that town voted "Leave".
    There has been little to no integration of the EU migrant population in this area simply because they don't need to bother; there's so many of them crammed into the available space that they have a ready made community, a miniature Poland/Latvia/Russia which speaks their language and has their own shops selling their own food.

The irony, of course, is that it's a largely British made problem. The main reason they all live in that area is because of the industry, agriculture, and it's British firms that have employed them en masse and got rid of the British work force. You cannot get a job in any of these firms unless you speak one of the above mentioned languages.
    It is also British landlords who are cramming 10 Polish lads into a 3 bedroomed semi detached house.

As for the "dey-tuk-our-jerbs" thing, most of the people saying it probably haven't even spent a morning doing their own gardening let alone an entire day in a field pulling cauliflower out of the mud. These facts have been conveniently ignored by the leave campaign and a large part of the leave voters, but asking difficult questions makes some peoples brains hurt so they blame Poland instead which is much easier and gives everyone a nice bandwagon to jump on.

That said, the mass influx of a foreign national community that isn't integrating is a perfectly valid concern. I voted to stay but I completely understand some of the reasons for voting to leave and I agree with a lot of the issues. Unfortunately though, as Killing Time points out, a lot of the leave voters simply wanted to get their pitchforks out and point them at Johnny Foreigner.
    Live rig: Denon Prime (5000M's)
    Retired: Denon x1700, Denon SC3900's, Traktor, Technics SL1200's, my vinyl
    Wish list: Some Roland Aira stuff.

I voted to leave and I don't mind admitting that I did it for immigration reasons.
    It's out of control where I live - there are too many that come here for a free meal ticket and have no intention of working - why should I be called a xenophobe for wanting to control that?
    SC | MC

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast