The answer to "What is a DJ?"
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default The answer to "What is a DJ?"

I saw this and loved it.

Attachment-1 (3).jpeg
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Indeed it is!

Tech Guru

Id put beatmatching in the centre and leave scratching out to the side.

Every single DJ will benefit greatly from learning beatmatching, whereas scratching is a very specific skill for a very specific style.

Beatmatching teaches timing, and timing is the most fundamental part of music.

I need to add one also... "hand gestures"

There is no way you can be taken seriously without your hand gesture game being on point...
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

damn i guess since i havent scratched for 24 years, im not a dj!

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by sinthesisml View Post
    damn i guess since i havent scratched for 24 years, im not a dj!
    haha, "scratch" and "beat matching" should be taken out of this.
    13" Macbook Air i7, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD | Traktor 2.7.1 | Ableton Live 9 | DJM-900 Nexus | NI Audio 10 | A&H Xone:K2 | Oyaide USB & RCA | HDJ-2000 | Odyssey BRLDIGITAL Bag

Quote Originally Posted by Daniboy View Post
    haha, "scratch" and "beat matching" should be taken out of this.
    you are so right about the beatmatching! my definition of DJ is simple... one who feels and rocks the crowd with music.

Scratching & beat-matching are 2 of the fundamentals of DJ'ing.
    If you can't do at least one of them you aren't a DJ - no matter how good your selection.
    SC | MC

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky H View Post
    Scratching & beat-matching are 2 of the fundamentals of DJ'ing.
    If you can't do at least one of them you aren't a DJ - no matter how good your selection.
    I disagree. THE most important part of a DJ's job, is not how well they can mix, beatmatch, or ability to scratch, it's not if they play from a Pioneer/Technics/American Audio/Gemini setup.

Selection.

If you can scratch brilliantly, beatmatch flawlessly it won't matter a stuff if your selection is wrong.

Beatmatch, scratching and all the other attributes are all an added bonus to a good selection.

Run a bad selection for your audience, and it won't matter how technically good you are, your floor will die, and your set with it.

The DJ's job is to entertain. Play recorded music, that is essentially the backbone...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Denon DJ/MC6000KMK2/Launchpad S/LaunchcontrolXL/Traktor Pro 2/Bringin it since 96.

While I also think that selection is by far the most important skill a DJ has to possess, there is a case to be made for the importance of beatmatching. If you play vinyl your sets are bound to be more dynamic (and thus, less boring) than if you play digital because no matter how good you are and how tight you can mix, not every transition is gonna be tight - and that's a good thing.

That's not to say you always have to beatmatch (or beatmatch at all) - it's certainly possible to play a killerset without any proper mixing whatsoever. But I'd say people who play those kinds of sets do usually know how to beatmatch properly. And sure it's possible to learn the important stuff while playing with sync (I actually did - but I still think my DJing improved greatly when I finally learned how to beatmatch vinyl, which took me years to get just because I get frustrated easily by stuff I have to practice a lot)
    Last edited by 3heads; 07-10-2016 at 09:15 AM.
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast