What do you find frustrating about discovering new music? - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhunter View Post
    I'm sure you're right, I do think it's worth aiming high though even if you do fall a little short.

Leaving the door open for folks to listen to everything if that's how they want to do it and also allowing the opportunity for a "strike zone" for folks that don't want or have the time to seems like it could work very well.
    having it all should always be an option. Especially if you are unsure what your flavor is.
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Quote Originally Posted by keithace View Post
    having it all should always be an option. Especially if you are unsure what your flavor is.
    Indeed, I probably didn't make it clear that ALL meant everything in a particular genre or group of genres not just everything in the whole catalogue.

Indeed, I probably didn't make it clear that ALL meant everything in a particular genre or group of genres not just everything in the whole catalogue.
    the hard part of it the way some people label tracks now. Indie Dance, Nu disco, electronica...ugh...hate beatports genres...
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

the hard part of it the way some people label tracks now. Indie Dance, Nu disco, electronica...ugh...hate beatports genres...
    I totally agree and that's been a problem that unfortunately I've found no solution for, can be a bit subjective too!

I like the concept of a strike zone, following a list of artists and/or labels and then pulling tracks by those artists/labels and also pulling what gets shown as "recommended" for those tracks. That would certainly reduce the number of tracks being pulled and could be a more relevant list.

Obviously there's still room to miss a lot and not everyone is going to want to do it that way but it sounds like an approach that some people would welcome.
    There's far too much incredible music out there not to miss something.

Which is why I don't ignore the older stuff too. A label may re-release something that I've missed, or an artist that I've missed, then I get to discover that music or artist.

Trying to find every incredible song out there that was released today will just result in frustration and listening to a lot of crap.
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

Tech Wizard

Due to the volume of music I go through, I had to come up with some pretty smart ways to filter out the garbage - while making sure to preview the stuff I want.

While I miss the days of going to the store and picking up a stack of 12" singles to listen to, I do love being able to do it from home whenever I want. So if my daughter is napping, I can go though a few pages of songs on beatport.

Quote Originally Posted by ImNotDedYet View Post
    There's far too much incredible music out there not to miss something.

Which is why I don't ignore the older stuff too. A label may re-release something that I've missed, or an artist that I've missed, then I get to discover that music or artist.

Trying to find every incredible song out there that was released today will just result in frustration and listening to a lot of crap.
    Realistically I don't think I'll manage to achieve never missing anything, I would like to create a solution that at the very least reduces the number missed and makes it more fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Mouse View Post
    Due to the volume of music I go through, I had to come up with some pretty smart ways to filter out the garbage - while making sure to preview the stuff I want.
    I'd love to hear about your smart ways to filter if you're up for sharing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Mouse View Post
    While I miss the days of going to the store and picking up a stack of 12" singles to listen to, I do love being able to do it from home whenever I want. So if my daughter is napping, I can go though a few pages of songs on beatport.
    I miss those days too in a way. I've tried to create a tool that allows me to listen in a similar way and be able to keep going back and pick up where I left off without having to worry about whether I've heard those tracks before one of the last times I was listening.

you still never answered my question. Do you just download a bunch of tracks without preview and then just listen to them one by one? Like the beatport top 100 torrents?
    Exactly!!!

apparently far too pragmatic for us simpleton thinkers that been DJing for 20 plus years and have watched the scene rise and fall.

EDM is a terrible comparison. It's all fake bubble pop music made by corporate music masquerading as underground.

Ask Digweed or Carl Cox if the get any pressure from "major" labels to play their tracks. Possible, but I highly doubt it. This isn't MTV or FM radio.
    Well I am Djing myself since 16 years and we have to be realistic in thise time a lot changed on Music Business, not only technologicaly spoken.

EDM is exactly the right example to Show that not the DJs set a trend but the Producers, Labels, etc...
    Another good example is Spinnin' Records which is a huge Electronic Music Factory and not a Label for creative People (and yes I know about their Workshops where Songwriters and Producers work together but it's terrible way to be productive and focuses more on the making Money part than on the making good Music part of creativity)

You talk about Cox and Digweed, I talk about Tiesto...why does he not make Trance anymore? Why did he Change when he saw Trance is dying and House and later on EDM were getting huge?
    Do you really think it's just opportunism from him? Do you really Think it's because he is a Wavesurfer?
    Well I think the pressure is as huge even on that Level.

And do you really think getting older is the reason why Carl Cox stops in Ibiza???
    I think that when you are infected by the Music Virus it's not your Age that gonna Change anything.
    I am pretty sure that he also felt some pressure from ourside to acclimate his Sets a bit more to the audience (which might be more in the middle 20's now on the Island, than in our Age no???)
    To be honnest how many 20-30 years old Kids know who COx, Digweed, Cook, Mills, Garnier, etc... are???
    So it's either those iconic DJs acclimate to the younger crowd, either they get thrown away like a old Piece of trash, either they recognise themself that they are kinda "has been" and take decisions themself on how to go on.

Times are hard for old DJs, we all have to acclimate with the crowd getting younger and younger in comparison to our own Age.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast