Beginner Production: What to Buy?
    Tech Student

Default Beginner Production: What to Buy?

I have been a DJ for 3 years now and I would like to get into production. I would also like to implement some live production into my DJing as well as producing music in my studio. I have no preference in software and I already have a high quality soundcard and a pair of KRK Rokit 5 studio monitors. I have a budget of $1100. I appreciate any help I can get. Thank you.

Systematik

If you're on Mac, I'd suggest getting Ableton Live, or Logic Pro X.
    If you're on Windows, you can get FL Studio or Ableton Live.

You'd also want to invest in a MIDI Keyboard. There's configurations from 25 to 88 keys, but for a beginner 25 to 49 keys is enough.
    A great midi keyboard to begin with is the Arturia Minilab or AKAI MPK Mini MK2. But if you don't want a budget MIDI keyboard, you could look in the higher keyrange.

There's way more things to get for a studio, but these are the basic things you need. You don't want to overcomplicate and buy alot of gear you don't need when you get started. Essentially all you need to get started is a laptop and some software, but a MIDI Keyboard definitely helps alot.

Make sure to look for alot of free sample packs, or you can also purchase really good ones from loopmaster. There's also great plugins like Spire, Massive and Sylenth1. As I said don't try to overcomplicate things in the beginning, because you will get overwhelmed if you do that.

If you don't want to buy the software, samplepacks or plugins. Shoot me a PM, if you know what I mean
    Last edited by Systematik; 07-20-2016 at 10:33 AM.

I'd buy:

I nice comfy chair
    A nice mouse
    A nice QWERTY keyboard

That is ALL YOU need to spend money on at this point. You can even get free versions of software that will allow you to lean to produce.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    I nice comfy chair
    A nice mouse
    A nice QWERTY keyboard
    +1

I'd add the biggest monitor, with the best resolution you can afford.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Get a piece of hardware that you take away from the computer. A Volca or Microbrute for sketching melodies, an old roland sampler if you make music that is focused on drums or samples, get them used off of craigslist for cheap. Even if you don't find yourself using it much for finished productions, being able to step away from the computer but still keep the music going will help the creative process.

Tech Wizard

Start off with Ableton Live, great for mac or pc. If you play piano pickup a midi keyboard, if you have guitars those are great too, grab an audio interface, plug and play!

Tech Wizard

+1 for the big monitor - you'll really appreciate the extra screen real estate as you begin to arrange.