Twister shift encoder problem after the new update

Default Twister shift encoder problem after the new update

Hi there,

I just got my midi fighter twister and installed the new firmware, everything seems find with ableton live 9.6.2. (*but it always said it's not connected on mfu unless I unplug the usb cable then plug it back to the hub again EVERY time I srartup my mbp)

but seems I got problem of the shift encoder hold / toggle mode, after I set that and map those on my live project, knob 1 works great but knob 2 doesn't, it just works like a button that send cc0 or 127 only. So if I mapped knob 2 to dry/wet, I got 100% dry or 100% wet only when I press the knob. even when I turn the knob 2 (LED color changed), it still working as knob 1 and controlling the signal I mapped on knob 1 .

is it a known bug or I got something wrong in my setup?

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

First, we reaaaaaally advise AGAINST to use a USB hub while working with the MF Utility since there is a small chance it might get bricked, always connect the unit directly to your computer when using the MF Utility. That said, try doing a factory reset (Tools>Midi Fighter>Factory Reset) and see if the issue persists. This reset should release any traces from the legacy firmware and solves quite a few initial bugs.

Regarding the button behavior, it sounds like it didn't fully load the shift/hold behavior and it's still sending the original message on CH.2 (that's why you see the RGB LED change color)

Default thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    First, we reaaaaaally advise AGAINST to use a USB hub while working with the MF Utility since there is a small chance it might get bricked, always connect the unit directly to your computer when using the MF Utility. That said, try doing a factory reset (Tools>Midi Fighter>Factory Reset) and see if the issue persists. This reset should release any traces from the legacy firmware and solves quite a few initial bugs.

Regarding the button behavior, it sounds like it didn't fully load the shift/hold behavior and it's still sending the original message on CH.2 (that's why you see the RGB LED change color)
    thanks padi_04! shift encoder works again after factory reset! now when I mapped knob 1, ableton will shows 1/0, press it will shows 2/0 and twist it will shows 5/0, I can only get 1/0 and 2/0 b4 factory reset no matter how hard I tried. thank you so much!

and I do update firmware directly to the computer without the hub, since I got too many usb gears and the mbp got only 2 ports, I have to use a moshi iLynx to hook everything up and left the second port to my audio interface.

but when I opened my live project and found the twister got no responses, then I have to go to mfu to see what's going on, and it usually shows "midi fighter not detected".

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Give these a shot but keep in mind that if Twister is detected normally by the Utility and Ableton when connected directly then it might be an issue with your hub or the devices connected to it.

1. With your unit connected directly to your computer go to Applications>Utilities and open the Audio MIDI Setup application
    2. Once that is open click on Window>Show MIDI Window
    3. If you see your Twister greyed out then select it and click on Remove Device
    4. Finally click on Rescan MIDI and your fighter should work properly

Note 1: If your computer detects it as a Generic MIDI Device then double click it and change the Device Name to Midi Fighter Twister.
    Note 2: If you still have issues unplug your device and click on the Configurations drop down menu to create a new one, then connect your unit.

Default Shift encoder problems (also)

I am experiencing encoder problems also: the "shift encoder hold" function works while pressed, but then zeros when I lift my finger off. This was not the functioning before the firmware update, and I don't think the expected operation.

With regard to the usb hub: what exactly happens that might brick the Twister? For me, it is impractical to use 1/2 usb ports on my computer (audio interface and connection to hub take up both). Is there a way I can keep it protected while connected to a hub? Thanks.

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by t anon View Post
    I am experiencing encoder problems also: the "shift encoder hold" function works while pressed, but then zeros when I lift my finger off.
    When you release a knob the LED ring is going to snap to what ever the value was set before you've press the knob down.
    If the value was 0 then this is perfectly fine behavior. Try some other value than zero and see if that works as expected.

Quote Originally Posted by t anon View Post
    With regard to the usb hub: what exactly happens that might brick the Twister? For me, it is impractical to use 1/2 usb ports on my computer (audio interface and connection to hub take up both). Is there a way I can keep it protected while connected to a hub? Thanks.
    You dont have to worry about it as long as you're using powered USB HUB. HUB's are not advised when updating your firmware - this is where your FW can brick.

Default Same problem even after factory reset

Hey guys,

I am having the same problem after the firmware update with 2 Midifighter Twisters. At first if I switched an encoder to Switch Encoder Hold it would act like CC Hold and if I set it to Switch Encoder Toggle it would act like CC Toggle.

After trying everything including factory reset and reinstalling driver and software if right after reset all I do is change the first encoder to Switch Encoder Hold for example and send to the Twister, then open Midi Monitor the following happens:

- if I just turn the encoder its sending CC messages on channel 1 just as expected
    - if I press down it sends a CC of 127 on Channel 2 (as if it were in CC Hold)
    - if I press and turn it sends CC messages between 0 and 127 on channel 5 (even though its set at the default channel 2).

(The same is true for Switch Encoder Toggle, and if in Midi Fighter Utility I change the Switch Midi channel it only changes the channel of the CC it sends like a button but the shift encoder CC's are still on channel 5).

This happens with the latest firmware from June 2016, with the original cable plugged in directly into 2 different iMacs and is the same with freshly installed software on Mac and PC. Its therefore 99% certain that the firmware is at fault, especially since before the update everything was working absolutely fine and correct - like so often "dont fix what ain't broke".. we never learn.. :/

Is there a way to revert to the old firmware?

Tech Student

Quote Originally Posted by monokoo View Post
    Hi there,

I just got my midi fighter twister and installed the new firmware, everything seems find with ableton live 9.6.2. (*but it always said it's not connected on mfu unless I unplug the usb cable then plug it back to the hub again EVERY time I srartup my mbp)

but seems I got problem of the shift encoder hold / toggle mode, after I set that and map those on my live project, knob 1 works great but knob 2 doesn't, it just works like a button that send cc0 or 127 only. So if I mapped knob 2 to dry/wet, I got 100% dry or 100% wet only when I press the knob. even when I turn the knob 2 (LED color changed), it still working as knob 1 and controlling the signal I mapped on knob 1 .

is it a known bug or I got something wrong in my setup?

Just Got a Midi Fighter Twister today and its doing this out of the box. Not outputting on Midi Channel 5
    So if i press and turn the encoder it outputs on 1 (same as unpressed). This means i get a light change but not two CC's per knob.

Tech Student

Quote Originally Posted by nicknack View Post
    Just Got a Midi Fighter Twister today and its doing this out of the box. Not outputting on Midi Channel 5
    So if i press and turn the encoder it outputs on 1 (same as unpressed). This means i get a light change but not two CC's per knob.
    Fixed it, the switch action type has been set to CC hold, and not 'Shift' CC hold.

All good here, THANKS!

Screen Shot 2017-05-24 at 22.42.17.png