USA mixers suck - we need a "standard" tool - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    As for vinyl in those places....I won't argue that vinyl sounds bad. But it is also technically inferior, it just covers up its flaws with a hiss that people like for some reason.
    True but it's more fun And somehow it appeals more to audiophiles despite its measurable technical flaws compared to digital.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Quote Originally Posted by djproben View Post
    True but it's more fun And somehow it appeals more to audiophiles despite its measurable technical flaws compared to digital.
    Vinyl is more about feel and nostalgia. I for one play 75% vinyl easily in all of my DNB sets. The audience digs it for the same reason I do. There is some historical emotion attached to it.

I will say that the below 25 community in the crowd does not seem to give AF tho. They just want music.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Quote Originally Posted by djproben View Post
    Agreed.

I have my dad's copy of Dark Side of the Moon. It sounds like absolute shit because it's been played on crappy tables since it came out, then sat in storage until the sleeve got slightly mildewed.

It's still cool, and I still listen to it.

And I have a few modern releases on vinyl. And, I'll buy more.

There is something about being able to pick it up and hold it, to know it's going to wear out as you play it a bunch, the ritual associated with playing it...but I don't get why audiophiles like it. Unless the masters are different, there's no quantifiable reason it should be preferred. It's a technically inferior medium.

It's also just cool.

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    There is something about being able to pick it up and hold it, to know it's going to wear out as you play it a bunch, the ritual associated with playing it...but I don't get why audiophiles like it. Unless the masters are different, there's no quantifiable reason it should be preferred. It's a technically inferior medium.

It's also just cool.
    This all day long. For me, it's because it's an actual object I can hold, I can look at the artwork on the sleeve, read the notes and whatnot. And then if it's a vinyl I can DJ with, I fell like I have a more physical connection with what I'm doing, I'm actually manipulating the music to some degree.
    And I agree that it is inferior as a medium, CD's are much better for quality of reproduction as are most digital files. People love vinyl because we can own a physical copy, because a rack of vinyl always looks good and because it gives us a warm fuzzy feeling when we use it. That in itself is priceless
    Live rig: Denon Prime (5000M's)
    Retired: Denon x1700, Denon SC3900's, Traktor, Technics SL1200's, my vinyl
    Wish list: Some Roland Aira stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Stazbumpa View Post
    This all day long. For me, it's because it's an actual object I can hold, I can look at the artwork on the sleeve, read the notes and whatnot. And then if it's a vinyl I can DJ with, I fell like I have a more physical connection with what I'm doing, I'm actually manipulating the music to some degree.
    And I agree that it is inferior as a medium, CD's are much better for quality of reproduction as are most digital files. People love vinyl because we can own a physical copy, because a rack of vinyl always looks good and because it gives us a warm fuzzy feeling when we use it. That in itself is priceless
    I actually feel like I can do less when DJing. And that lesser amount of things I can do also comes with greater cognitive load. Somehow, I find I enjoy it less when I'm spinning with vinyl or DVS than when I'm letting the computer take a lot of that load.

...which is why one of my 1200s just runs into the sound in my dork cave and the other one is sitting around in a closet waiting for a few changes to the livng room setup (seriously...who sells a home stereo receiver that doesn't have phono inputs!?!?).

That being said, if a whole bunch of house vinyl fell in my lap, I'd probably buy another mixer and another table to be able to do it every now and then. Just because.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123