Djing with a Midi keyboard

Default Djing with a Midi keyboard

Ok I know that this is a little odd but hear me out. I have no turntables and no vinyls. All I have is an Akai MPK25, a Xenyx x1222 and my laptop with Virtual DJ. I can assign the knobs (24 total) for gain, Eq, and effects like reverb, filters, tape stop etc. I can also use the pads (48 total) to cue in said effects and to cue in points in the song. I can also use the keys on the keyboard to cue in samples. Then I use the mod wheel to crossfade. The only thing I have found so far that I cannot perform is scratching. My questions are: Can I get by djing live with this setup? If I was to bring this setup would it be ok or am I going to get told no? I want to make sure I am covering all of my bases here.

Absolutely. Check out some videos on youtube by a chap named Moldover. He does pretty much this.

Don't worry too much about scratching. But if you're desperate to give it a try, you could easily pick up one of these for next to nothing and add it to your set-up:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DJ-TECH-CD...MAAOSwnDxUdHIH

s-l1600.jpg
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Yea, I've done it with great results, with an Alesis Q49 as part of mobile setup.
    Pic taken about 4 years ago..
    Last edited by DJAdeSands; 07-30-2016 at 01:23 PM.
    Denon DJ/MC6000KMK2/Launchpad S/LaunchcontrolXL/Traktor Pro 2/Bringin it since 96.

Ean used to dj with a keyboard too.

Moldover is seriously into it. I did not know he was so into diy midi. I definitely picked up a few ideas watching that video. Also Ean gave me the idea to put tape over the keys so I could write on them. Good advice guys, thanks.

Tech Wizard

Cool setup!

Tech Wizard

it's absolutely doable. Do you have an idea as to how you want to map the controller for Djing?